Women's basketball hosts undefeated Tar Heels

Any time Duke faces North Carolina in a sporting event, a win means a great deal to both schools simply because of bragging rights. And in a typical women's basketball game between the two schools, bragging rights are about all that are at stake.

But Wednesday night's matchup between the two bitter Atlantic Coast Conference rivals at 7 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium will take on much greater meaning, thanks to quick starts this season by both Duke and UNC.

"Every game in the ACC is a big game for us," Duke head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "We have to do the best job we can in every game. The game against UNC is important because they are the defending national champions, they're ranked third in the nation and just because it's Carolina."

For No. 21 Duke, a win would solidify its place among the top three teams in the conference. Duke is currently 14-2 (5-1 in the ACC), but until it pulls off a win against either North Carolina or Virginia, it will only be the best of the rest.

For the Tar Heels, a win would keep them perched atop the ACC standings along with Virginia. Third-ranked UNC is 18-0 (6-0 in the ACC) this season and has not lost a game since falling to the Cavaliers on Feb. 9, 1994. Since that loss, the Tar Heels have won 32 straight games.

This will be the first time that both Duke and UNC have been ranked going into the rivalry game.

North Carolina possesses a unique blend of height and speed which allows it to play either a half-court inside game or a run-and-gun transition style.

The Tar Heels' major weapon is senior Charlotte Smith, a 6-0 forward who is up for national Player of the Year consideration. Smith is averaging 18.4 points and 9.9 rebounds a game. She also became the first Division I player in 10 years to dunk in a game when she did it earlier this season against North Carolina A&T.

Complementing Smith on the inside is 6-7 Gwendolyn Gillingham, who is averaging 5.5 rebounds a game. As a team, UNC is second in the ACC with 45.9 rebounds a game. Also, point guard Marion Jones is an Olympic-caliber sprinter who uses her immense talent to break down opposing defenses. And 5-11 forward Tracy Reid is one of the top freshmen in the country, averaging over 15 points per game.

If there is a team capable of holding down the Tar Heels, it could be Duke. The Blue Devils are currently ranked third in the ACC with 44.9 rebounds per game, and they are outrebounding opponents by nearly 11 per game. The job of stopping Carolina inside will be shared by center Alison Day and forwards Carey Kauffman and Tyish Hall.

"To me, they rebound on the offensive glass better than any team in the nation," Goestenkors said. "They go hard to crash the boards and are very athletic. We're going to have to box out on every single possession."

Despite UNC's talent inside, Duke is not expecting to change its game plan. Unlike in previous years, when the Blue Devils may have felt overwhelmed in this game, their good start -- combined with the fact that Duke played UNC tough last year in Cameron -- have let the Blue Devils know that they are almost on even ground with the mighty Tar Heels.

Duke's best offensive weapon this year has been its balance. The Blue Devils boast scorers both on the inside and outside, which causes problems for the opposing defenses. With such versatility, Duke will attempt to counter UNC's height and athleticism.

"They're athletic and they rebound well," Duke guard Jennifer Scanlon said. "But we're not going to change our game plan for that. We are going to stick with what works well for us."

UNC has won the last six meetings between the two teams. But at 14-2, Duke is off to its best start ever, and crowd support is beginning to reflect that. A crowd of more than 1,900 fans showed up for the Wake Forest game on Jan. 16.

In recent years, the Blue Devils usually have had less-than-inspiring fan support. But as Duke has continued to win and climb into the national picture, Cameron has become a more intimidating place for guests to play in.

"Our last home game had a great crowd," Scanlon said. "I hope we can keep getting more fans to come."

While it is still early in the season, a win would be a big boost for either team. UNC would improve to 7-0 in the ACC and keep the longest winning streak in the nation alive. A Duke victory would move the Blue Devils into a tie for second place with the Tar Heels in the ACC.

More importantly, a victory over the defending national champions will prove that this Duke team has truly achieved national prominence.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball hosts undefeated Tar Heels” on social media.