Volleyball opens ACC season by whipping Tar Heels

CHAPEL HILL, N.C.--A Duke sports team that travels to Chapel Hill to take on North Carolina is always ready for a battle. Regardless of the teams' records, the Tar Heels almost always give the Blue Devils problems in the world of baby blue.

That's why the volleyball team was so surprised when it went into Carmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill and easily took the first game against UNC, 15-3, in about 20 minutes. The Blue Devils won the second and third games as well, 15-10 and 15-12, to earn the victory. Duke improved to 8-2 overall (1-0 in the Atlantic Coast Conference), while UNC dropped to 7-5 (0-1 in the ACC).

"We felt really good about the game," senior co-captain Jen Rohrig said. "It's so much fun to come [to Chapel Hill] and just put it away. There's no doubt about that."

The Blue Devils had not been happy with their performance on the road this season, having been upset last weekend by Tennessee at Knoxville. Duke wanted to come out strong and prove it could play good volleyball away from home.

"We came out really intense," junior Ashley Wacholder said. "We were working really hard because last weekend was a nightmare. Tonight was a lot better."

Duke jumped on the Tar Heels from the start, opening a 5-3 lead before reeling off 10 points in a row to take the game. Janie Borcherding ended the game with a service ace.

"We were really frustrated with the way we played last weekend and we wanted to get off to a good start tonight," head coach Jon Wilson said. "We not only were intense, but we had a game plan, and we executed it to the `T.' We're pretty good when we do that."

In the second game, a Borcherding kill gave the Blue Devils a 10-4 lead. The Tar Heels won three points in a row to cut the lead to 10-7, but Duke came back strong and won the game 15-10.

In the third game, Carolina improved its play and made the match a competitive fight.

Duke took a 5-4 lead, then the two teams combined for 12 side-outs in a row, leaving some in the crowd wondering if there would be any more scoring in the match.

There finally was, as UNC jumped out to a 10-6 lead before the Blue Devils recovered. They won nine out the last 11 points to take the game, 15-12, on a kill by freshman Kristin McMahon.

"We had a couple of times where they came back and we just kind of sat back on our heels and let them get a few points," Rohrig said. "Then someone would spark it up with a big play, we'd get the ball rolling and we'd come back."

Rohrig led the Blue Devils with 20 kills and 14 digs, while Wacholder had 11 kills and a team-high 15 digs. Sophomore Adrian Nicol added 10 kills and 12 digs, while sophomore setter Cappy Meyer ran the offense with 49 assists.

"I think our passing was incredible," Meyer said. "We passed the serves really well, and on defense our passing was great, too."

Wilson was pleased with his team's execution, but he was even more satisfied with the way the Blue Devils performed defensively, Rohrig in particular. Rohrig always puts up big numbers on offense, but her 14 digs -- a defensive statistic -- stood out after the game.

"I was really proud of [Rohrig's] defense tonight," Wilson said. "That's the best defensive game she's ever played, I think."

The Tar Heels' offense was ineffective all night, as the Blue Devils had 17 more kills and won the battle of hitting percentages by an astounding .305 to .139.

"We were a little tentative," UNC head coach Joe Sagula said. "[Duke] scored a lot of quick points on us. We were looking up early in the match.

"I think Rohrig had a great match for them, a career match. It was tough to stop her. She does a lot of good things for that team."

Duke will be back in action tonight against Auburn at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 6:30 p.m. against Georgetown. Both matches will be played in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Share and discuss “Volleyball opens ACC season by whipping Tar Heels” on social media.