PACOR begins to set agenda

President Nan Keohane showed Wednesday that she plans to take an active interest in the University's financial affairs.

Keohane sat through about half of the inaugural meeting of the President's Advisory Committee on Resources in an effort to help plan its 1994-95 agenda.

"She directed the committee toward a whole variety of projects we'll be considering throughout the year," said Dr. Robert Bast, a committee member and director of the comprehensive cancer center.

PACOR, which was created by former president Keith Brodie, advises the president on the use of the University's finances. Its membership includes faculty, administrators and students.

The committee will tackle the proposed recreational facility as its first major agenda item. The Council of Facilities and the Environment, which reviews all University construction proposals, recently passed plans for the facility.

If PACOR approves the plan, Keohane will likely send it to the Board of Trustees' October meeting with a cost estimate and location proposal.

The committee will also examine the University's 1994-95 budget forecast to determine whether it sets realistic goals. The University's endowment and other investments will be closely examined by the committee.

PACOR will also review a proposal for a new teaching facility for the School of the Environment.

One topic the committee may not be addressing immediately is tuition costs.

"At this point, we don't know anything about tuition increases, and nobody will have any idea about that number until late November," said James Cox, professor of law and chair of the committee.

Share and discuss “PACOR begins to set agenda” on social media.