Uncle Harry's son conducts concert to honor his parents

From staff reports

Waverly Rainey, son of Kathy Rainey and the late Harry Rainey, will conduct a concert on Thursday in tribute to his parents.

The "Easter/Spring Touring Concert" features the West Atlanta/Douglas Choral Society, concert flautist Jerry Singer and internationally-known organist Hector Olivera. After a premiere performance in Georgia, the ensemble travels to the University to perform a concert of vocal and instrumental music. The program includes spirituals, excerpts from a Mozart requiem and opera, popular folk songs and selections from musicals by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

The West Atlanta/Douglas Choral Society is a non-profit organization under the direction of artistic director and conductor Waverly Rainey. Olivera, a graduate of the University of Buenos Aires and of the Julliard School of Music, has toured all over the world and been featured on many records and compact discs. He also works for Yamaha, where he serves as an artist and organ consultant.

The entire University community is invited to the concert on Thursday, April 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Reynolds Industries Theater of the Bryan Center. Because of the Mary Duke Biddle Foundation's large contribution, the concert is free to the public, though seats must be reserved through Page Box Office at 684-4444.

Donations to the Harry Rainey Memorial Fund will be accepted after the concert, and the proceeds will be given to Duke Cancer Research and minority arts organizations.

Share and discuss “Uncle Harry's son conducts concert to honor his parents” on social media.