2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 15 Lipscomb

Lipscomb Bisons: 23-9, 10-4 in the Atlantic Sun

Head coach: Casey Alexander (5th season)

Players to watch: Garrison Mathews (22.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG); Rob Marberry (16.0 PPG, 5.8 RPG)

Season Recap: After starting nonconference play feeding early wins to Power-5 teams like Alabama, Purdue and Texas, Lipscomb found itself cutting through the mid-majors, taking down the likes of Navy, Jacksonville and Stetson. In their conference tournament, the Bisons cleaned through their usual suspects of opponents before facing back-to-back defending champions Florida Gulf Coast. In a 108-96 thriller, Lipscomb weathered a late surge from the Eagles to claim its first-ever conference title, sending the Bisons dancing for the first time in school history.

Lipscomb can attribute its success against Florida Gulf Coast—and through their entire season—to junior guard Garrison Matthews. The Franklin, Tenn., native is the engine behind both the Bisons' offense and defense and is a long-range threat that can find holes in any defense.

Complementing Matthews is junior forward Rob Marberry. Marberry’s position in the paint gives the Bisons options on the attack, and the Nashsville native capitalizes on them—Marberry averages 16.0 points per game with 61.9 percent shooting. If Lipscomb wants to make a run, it will need both of its stars to shine on the nation’s brightest stage.

How they make a run: The Matthews-Marberry duo spreads opponents thin—either they suffer the 3-pointers from the junior guard or get crushed in the paint by the junior forward. Lipscomb maintains its penchant for fast-break basketball, and the Bisons nab a massive upset against North Carolina.

How they falter: Either Matthews or Marberry have an off day and Liscomb’s offense is shot. With very little serious production from the bench and a weakness on the glass, the Bisons lose their tempo and fall flat in their national debut.

Share and discuss “2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 15 Lipscomb” on social media.