Letter to the editor

To the editor:

After reading the article "Doomed to fail: Food trucks struggle in new locations," I was happy to finally see some genuine feedback from Duke administrators. Dr. Larry Moneta said, "Our priority will always be to support our on campus partners with food trucks and Merchants-on-Points as supplemental options for later evening dining.” Thank you for your honesty!

With that said, his comment above made me wonder: how does Duke Dining justify the same percentage commission that food trucks and MOPs pay as on campus vendors, when they not only favor them, but they cover a large part of their cost, while our commission covers none of ours? Oh…I almost forgot…they favor them.

If things don’t work out, food trucks will leave. What’s the damage for Duke Dining? Nothing. Students still have to eat, so they will simply go to West Union that still pays the same commission. What does it mean for students? They have less food options to choose from.

I admit West Union is a gorgeous building with great food options. Duke certainly has come a long way since my days: I probably ate less than 10 times at Great Hall (former West Union) during my four years in undergraduate. After all, Duke is now voted number one for college food. For that my hat is off to Duke Dining.

With all the great success, why does Duke Dining feel the need to set food trucks up for failure, to the students’ detriment?

Food trucks are all legitimate, small local businesses that operate just like any restaurant: we have professional kitchens for preparation. We get inspected by the Health Department on the same criteria as restaurants. We pay our taxes. And we create jobs. In fact, all our employees coming to campus must pass Duke’s background check just like any other Duke employee. Then why is Duke Dining not treating us as professionals, when in fact, students love us?

The food truck is my passion. It is my life. I am not an expendable commodity and I am certainly not a guinea pig that can be used to create and test a new market, so that others can rip the fruit of our hard work.

As a double Dukie, Duke holds a special place in my heart. One of the biggest reasons I’m so fond of Duke is the team and community spirit that the university teaches and the students uphold.

Unfortunately, I have learned through this experience that Duke doesn’t necessarily practice what it preaches. And it really hurts...

I do not know what the future holds for the food truck program on Duke's campus. I just hope Duke Dining makes the right decision for students as well as for its community.

Sincerely,

Ji-Myung Kim, Trinity ’04 Fuqua ‘12

Owner, Mixed Korean Truck/Mixed Korean Bistro

Share and discuss “Letter to the editor” on social media.