You jump, I jump

In yesterday’s editorial, "The paths not taken," we discussed the prevailing culture of pre-professionalism and encouraged that it be pursued with caution. Today’s editorial assesses the social construction of value and begins to reconceptualize what “value” may mean for different individuals.

It is not uncommon to be asked, with eyebrows raised, what you plan to do with a liberal arts degree. Increasingly, entering one of the “Big Four” professions—law, medicine, consulting and banking—is seen as the “correct” answer. Just as a liberal arts education is regarded as the logical next step after high school, the Big Four—or six, according to Andrew Yang, CEO of Venture for America—are presented as the most respected outcomes of college. Yet, such presumptions are made with a certain “one size fits all” mentality that often limits and excludes paths beyond these four fields.

We take a step back and ask: Why paths, and why these particular four? For some, the decision to pursue these secure and lucrative tracks is shaped by practical realities. Given the cost of a liberal arts education, these fields often seem like the only ones that will make a quarter-million dollar education “worth it.” Alternatively, they may be the only way to dig oneself out of debt. Yet, for most, these four paths are a sure promise of success and the addition of value to society. The prevailing culture asserts that you can contribute most to society by becoming a doctor, lawyer, consultant or banker—careers that lead to money and prestige.

But “value” need not be measured solely by financial and social wealth. Other forms of compensation—joy in work or satisfaction in helping others, for example—are just as worthwhile and intrinsically important. Perhaps a schoolteacher feels most compensated when working with students. Perhaps an aid worker feels most fulfilled when she helps a community. The desire for money and prestige often overshadow other forms of compensation in a limiting way that creates a tiered system in which some professions are seen as better than others. “Value” is a dynamic, multi-faceted idea that should be internally defined and introspectively determined for each individual.

At Duke, it is easy to be swept into this mode of thinking. The four paths are like conveyer belts—tried, proven, mechanized shuttles to success. You take that biology course, you apply for that extra-curricular, you spend your summer doing that internship. Yet, simply following the beaten trail can often lead to internalizing values and perspectives that may not match your intrinsic aspirations. In this way, conveyor belts do not necessarily encourage the new production of knowledge. While they may afford external validation—especially given the competitiveness of these industries—they also encourage rigidity and formation with little room for individual creativity.

We are not glued to conveyor belts. Rather than blindly internalize societal pressures to assign value to certain forms of compensation or professions, jump off of the conveyor belt—even if for a second. Once you are off, explore and run around. Take different classes, join activities you never thought you would join, meet people and engage in questions that challenge and intrigue you. Create your own lens for “value” so that, even if you decide to enter these four paths again, you remain critical and reflective toward new conveyor belts that may present themselves in the future.

Share and discuss “You jump, I jump” on social media.