Erick Green wins ACC Player of the Year, Plumlee finishes third

The Duke men's basketball team bounced back from a tough loss on the road to Maryland with a 88-56 blowout win over Virginia Tech.

Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon guards Virginia Tech guard Erick Green.
The Duke men's basketball team bounced back from a tough loss on the road to Maryland with a 88-56 blowout win over Virginia Tech. Freshman Rasheed Sulaimon guards Virginia Tech guard Erick Green.

People have talked about Mason Plumlee as a National Player of the Year candidate.

But the Duke forward finished just third in the ACC Player of the Year voting as Virginia Tech guard Erick Green won with 38 votes. Miami guard Shane Larkin came in second with 23 and Plumlee finished with 12.

Green was the conference's leading scorer, putting up 25.4 points per game, but did so with his Hokies finishing the year 13-18 overall and 4-14 in the ACC, both worst in the ACC.

Plumlee led the Blue Devils to an ACC-best 27-4 overall record, averaging 17.2 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. His numbers were slightly worse in conference, play, however, where Duke finished with a 14-4 mark, the second best in the league. In ACC games he tallied 16.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per game.

Meanwhile, Miami's Jim Larranaga won ACC Coach of the Year in a landslide, receiving 75 of 77 votes. The Hurricanes were picked to finish the year fifth in the ACC and won the conference regular season title this year with a 15-3 record. Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and North Carolina's Roy Williams each received one vote.

Miami senior guard Durand Scott won ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors, averaging 1.6 steals per game. Scott demonstrated his defensive prowess against Duke, as one of a few players who combined to shut down Seth Curry to a combined 2-for-18 from the field in those two contests.

Boston College guard Olivier Hanlan won ACC Freshman of the Year, averaging 14.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in his first collegiate season.

Share and discuss “Erick Green wins ACC Player of the Year, Plumlee finishes third” on social media.