A message from BSA regarding the Black Culture Living Group

On Wednesday, Oct. 19, the Black Student Alliance was notified that Dr. Moneta, Dean Nowicki and the members of the Addition and Removal Committee had approved our petition for cultural housing. To the Black Student Alliance and the Duke community at large, the approval of the Black Culture Living Group signifies more than just having a space in the new house model. This symbolizes the fulfillment of a demand made by black students more than 40 years ago. Following the takeover of the Allen Building in 1969, the Black Student Alliance (formally the Afro-American Society) issued a list of 11 demands to the Duke administration. The second demand was to establish a then-called “black dorm.” Since then, many unofficial iterations of this demand have existed, but we are pleased that the University administration has decided to support the most current version—the Black Culture Living Group.

This house will function as a residential living group primarily focused on promoting cultural awareness and academic engagement, and will be open to students (regardless of race or ethnicity) who are interested in immersing themselves in a black culture residential experience. It will work closely with the African and African American Studies department and the Mary Lou Williams Center to host discussions, forums and other events centered on educating the student body of the diversity of the African diaspora. Most importantly, the Black Culture Living Group will serve as a place to continue dialogues about black culture beyond the walls of the classroom and after the Mary Lou Williams Center closes at 5 p.m.

Prior to the approval of the Black Culture Living Group, the Black Student Alliance remained relatively quiet on the issue of cultural housing. This was primarily because we understood that our priority was to pay homage to those who came before us, rather than engaging in sensationalized rhetoric about self-segregation. Now that the group has been approved, we are open to suggestions and will be holding a town hall meeting to discuss this, and other issues, in the coming days. We welcome your comments and suggestions and look forward to engaging in meaningful dialogue. More information concerning the application and selection process for the living group is forthcoming.

Lastly, I would like to emphasize that we stand on the shoulders of giants. This project was conceptualized more than 40 years ago and will be realized in the Fall of 2012. We encourage the Duke community to take advantage of this monumental opportunity to actualize the legacy of our predecessors and to leave a legacy for those who will come after us. But, even if you do not, please acknowledge the significance of this moment.

Marcus Benning, Trinity ’14
Vice President, Black Student Alliance

Share and discuss “A message from BSA regarding the Black Culture Living Group” on social media.