Man attempts sexual assault off campus

An intruder entered a Durham residence and attempted to sexually assault a woman living there early Saturday morning. The intruder fled after the woman notified the police, said Duke Police Chief John Dailey.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta sent an e-mail describing the incident to the entire student body at 2:42 a.m. Saturday. The man entered the home through an unlocked door, Moneta wrote in the e-mail, advising students to take precautions such as locking their doors and keeping alert while the suspect remains at large. The assailant was described as “white, 60-70 years old with a scruffy face... wearing a blue [T-shirt].”

Moneta said in an interview that he had no doubts about sending the e-mail after consulting with law enforcement officials.

The intruder entered the woman’s house—located near the intersection of Dacian Avenue and Buchanan Boulevard—between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. Saturday, Dailey said.

The Durham Police Department is primarily handling the case, Dailey said, though he added that the Duke University Police Department patrolled the area surrounding the house through Saturday morning.

DPD Public Information Officer Kammie Michael could not be reached for comment.

Dailey said he could not provide more details about the case and search for the suspect because DPD is in charge of the ongoing investigation. He added that he was not aware of similar incidents or a general pattern pointing to the suspect.

Share and discuss “Man attempts sexual assault off campus” on social media.