2023-24 Notre Dame men's basketball season preview

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 

2022-23 record: 11-21, 3-17 in the ACC

Head coach: Micah Shrewsberry

Career coaching record: 37-31

Home court: Joyce Center 

Projected starters: G Markus Burton, G Logan Imes, G Julian Roper II, F Carey Booth, F Kebba Njie

Bench: G J.R. Konieczny, G Alex Wade, G Tony Sanders Jr., G Braeden Shrewsberry, F Tae Davis, F Matt Zona

Overview: Notre Dame is currently undergoing a major period of transition. Last year, the team endured its worst season in more than 20 years, forcing long time head coach Mike Brey to resign at the end of the season. Brey was replaced by Penn State head coach Micah Shrewsberry, who will try to rebuild the struggling program back to a consistent ACC contender. 

Shrewsberry’s task is harder said than done, however. The Fighting Irish are returning only four players from last year’s team, none of whom were significant contributors, and several members of their 2023 recruiting class opted to decommit after Brey’s departure. Concerningly, the team only boasts four forwards on the roster and does not have a single player listed at the center position. 

On the bright side, Shrewsberry did manage to bring over his recruiting class from the Nittany Lions, including his son Braeden and four-star prospect Carey Booth. Additionally, 2023 Indiana Mr. Basketball and longtime Notre Dame fan Markus Burton has been touted as a potential star at the starting point guard position. Realistically, though, the Fighting Irish will struggle heavily this season. Lacking experience, young talent and depth, Shrewsberry will have to work miracles if the team is to compete against the ACC’s best. 

Team ceiling: Shrewsberry manages to energize his scrappy bunch of players, and the Fighting Irish claw their way to a respectable record and maybe even a place in the NCAA tournament.

Team floor: Inexperience and a flimsy roster dooms Notre Dame’s chances of competing, and the Fighting Irish suffer one of the worst seasons in their history. 

Share and discuss “2023-24 Notre Dame men's basketball season preview” on social media.