The Chronicle’s guide to volunteering in Durham and at Duke

Looking for volunteer opportunities? 

Don't miss out on the chance to make a positive impact in both Duke and Durham by exploring the various volunteer options offered. The Chronicle compiled a quick guide on several volunteer organizations that are accessible for students both on- and off-campus.  

The Scrap Exchange

An eight-minute walk from East Campus, located at 2050 Chapel Hill Road, The Scrap Exchange has made it its mission to provide creativity and community through reuse since 1991. From dressing dolls to measuring, cutting and pricing fabric for sale, students can bring back gently-used items to life for the community. With a plethora of hours to choose from, there are plenty of opportunities for interested craft-lovers. Events are held Wednesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

Social Media at the Poof Center

For students with a passion for social media and marketing, the Poof Center is a cohesive environment where creative minds come together to collaborate with teens and contribute their skills to help build a vibrant online community. Responsibilities include monitoring social media outlets, responding to inquiries and reporting any unusual behaviors online. Events are held Monday through Friday from 4 to 8 p.m., and volunteers should expect to commit two hours of their time for each event.  

Latino Educational Achievement Partnership

Relive elementary and middle school by tutoring children in the Durham Area with LEAP, an organization that focuses on the success of education within the Latino community by providing high quality support to children. There is no requirement to speak Spanish, and volunteers have the option to work individually with children ranging from six to 12 years old or work in a live preschool setting with three to four-year-olds. Volunteers must complete a one-hour training alongside a background check and commit a minimum of two hours per week. 

Duke’s 46th Annual Volunteer Fair

On Oct. 18, Duke will host its 46th annual volunteer fair at Penn Pavilion from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. This fair will be an opportunity for students to interact with local non-profit organizations, discover volunteer possibilities within the community and learn more about Durham. 

If none of these cater to your needs, the Office of Durham and Community Affairs has a website dedicated to matching community needs with Duke volunteers. 

Share and discuss “The Chronicle’s guide to volunteering in Durham and at Duke” on social media.