Devil's in the details: Volleyball continues hot streak, field hockey climbs rankings

Duke volleyball notched its ninth-straight win against Santa Clara Saturday.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details — and numbers:

6

Duke field hockey continues to climb the rankings, with its latest tally being a 4-0 home victory over No. 6 Syracuse Friday night. The ninth-ranked Blue Devils handed the Orange their first loss of the season, making it the first time Duke has defeated Syracuse since 2018. Sophomore forward Alaina McVeigh put on an offensive display with two goals. McVeigh’s shot in the 58th minute earned her the No. 6 spot in SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays Saturday morning. The clip featured McVeigh’s nifty stickwork, dribbling through Syracuses’ defense and ultimately finding the back of the net. The shot was McVeigh's eighth goal of the season, and she has scored in every game.

The Blue Devils’ statement win cannot be discussed without acknowledging their disciplined and effective defense. Senior goalie Piper Hampsch earned her first complete-game shutout of the season with three saves. Hampsch’s performance was supported by the defensive line, who held the Orange to only six shots. Duke will look to carry this momentum as it goes on the road to play Boston College next Friday. The Eagles should prove to be a challenging matchup for the Blue Devils, following their impressive victory over No. 6 Virginia.

0

After back-to-back shutouts, the script flipped for Duke men’s soccer. The team suffered a 2-0 loss against Clemson Friday night, making it the first time all season the Blue Devils have been shutout. Duke still applied pressure all game, totaling 13 shots to the Tigers’ nine. Even after a second Clemson goal in the 75th minute, the Blue Devils continued to hammer away — tallying six shots in the game’s final 15 minutes — but ultimately failed to make a mark on the scoresheet. The team remains on the road and looks to gain back momentum in a rivalry matchup with North Carolina next Saturday.

9

In its ninth-straight victory, Duke volleyball put on an impressive performance against Santa Clara. Sophomore middle blocker Jess Robinson put on an offensive clinic, with 19 kills and a 79.2% hitting percentage. Robinson displayed perfection during the second set, putting up a 1.000 hit rate. The sophomore wasn’t the only Blue Devil dominating on offense, as teammates Gracie Johnson and Kerry Keefe also found themselves in double-digits in the kills column. 

After a slow 0-2 start to the season, the team’s nine-game winning streak will prove crucial in carrying momentum looking ahead. Duke welcomes No. 8 Pittsburgh Friday night in its first ranked matchup since the team’s first win of the season against then-No. 18 Creighton. The Blue Devils are 5-0 at home this season and will look to continue this streak against the Panthers. 

15

In Duke cross country’s second meet of the season, junior Conor Bohrer accomplished a new personal-best with a time of 18:36.0, good for 15th in the 6K course. Less than two seconds behind him, in 16th place, was sophomore teammate Nick Falk with a time of 18:37.8. Sophomore Jeremy Kain rounded out the top trio for the Blue Devils, coming in at 18:38.0 to place 18th. The men’s team placed third overall at the cross country challenge and will look to put up another top-five performance in the Virginia XC Invitational next Saturday. 

On the women’s side, junior Hope Frost posted a personal best of her own, posting a time 19:00.6 — more than 35 seconds faster than her previous personal record.

Share and discuss “Devil's in the details: Volleyball continues hot streak, field hockey climbs rankings” on social media.