2023 Virginia football season preview

2022 Season: 3-7, 1-6 in the ACC (6th in the Atlantic Division)

Head Coach: Tony Elliott (2nd season)

Last year’s Virginia team had what can only be described as a rough season. Not only did the squad have a losing record, but the Cavaliers also lost their starting quarterback to an in-conference rival, as Brennan Armstrong left for N.C. State. This year, the signal-caller will likely be Tony Muskett, a transfer from an FCS school in Monmouth. Muskett was strong for the Hawks, but will be against much stiffer competition in the ACC than what he faced in the CAA. 

On the other side of the ball, Virginia’s defense struggled tremendously last year. The Cavaliers gave up 38 points to Duke, 34 to Louisville and 37 to Pitt. This year, they have lost several key personnel, including two cornerbacks in Anthony Johnson and Fentrell Cypress II and linebacker Nick Jackson. That being said, the entire defensive front will be returning, which could help Virginia put some pressure on opposing quarterbacks. 

The team’s schedule is tough as well. The Cavaliers will open their season with a game against No. 12 Tennessee, a formidable squad. From there, Virginia will play other tough teams in N.C. State, Maryland and No. 21 North Carolina. Taking a quick look at the opponents, there is a chance that Elliot’s group will finish the season with less than three wins. 

What this season will really hinge upon for the Cavaliers is the quarterback. If Muskett can make the transition to FBS and Power Five competition, then the 2023 campaign may be salvageable. There are some winnable games on the schedule, both in and out of conference. If the offense can get into gear, then there are doable games against weaker ACC opponents like Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. Otherwise, it is looking like it will be another rough campaign for a program that has struggled in recent years. 

Share and discuss “2023 Virginia football season preview” on social media.