2023 Clemson football season preview

2022 Record: 11-3, 8-0 in the ACC (1st in the Atlantic Division)

Head coach: Dabo Swinney (15th season)

It has definitely been a couple of interesting years for the Tigers. On one hand, they have maintained their 10-win season streak throughout each of the past 12 years, and last year, Clemson dismantled North Carolina en route to another ACC title, capping off an undefeated conference slate. 

Many were frustrated, however, with the stagnancy on the offensive end, especially in contrast to the defense. Quarterback DJ Uiagalelei showed flashes of potential, but ultimately never played to the level he showed in 2020 when coming in relief for Trevor Lawrence. Not all of the shortcomings were on Uiagalelei — wide receivers had issues gaining separation, the offensive line had trouble protecting him and play calling was conservative at best. 

Looking to this season, the Tigers arguably had the splash of the offseason by hiring former TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley to revamp the Clemson offense back to the renowned Tiger teams of the 2010s. Sophomore quarterback Cade Klubnik officially has the reins to the offense after breaking through in the aforementioned ACC Championship game and Uiagalelei’s subsequent transfer to Oregon State. 

The leader of this offense is junior running back Will Shipley, the first player in ACC history to earn first-team all-conference honors at three positions – running back, all-purpose and specialist. Last season, Shipley ran for 1,182 yards and 15 touchdowns while also being a pass-catching threat. He and junior Phil Mafah will form a two-headed monster in the backfield that will provide steadiness to a new offense. 

The wide receivers are the biggest question mark that could make or break this team. Returning Freshman All-American Antonio Williams is deadly in the slot, but highly-recruited outside receivers Beaux Collins and Adam Randall have struggled with injuries and consistency. Both, however, look to be healthy this offseason for the first time in their careers. If they can stretch the field and create a downfield threat, this team will be hard to stop; but if not, it will be more of the same for the Clemson offense. 

The staple for the Tigers over the years has been their defense, and this is in all likelihood one of the best units in the nation, with talent and depth across the board. To the surprise of many, Tyler Davis and Ruke Orhrorhoro decided to return to anchor the defensive line despite being elite NFL prospects. Clemson boasts a scary linebacker duo of Jeremiah Trotter Jr. and Barrett Carter, both tabbed to the All-ACC Preseason team. The secondary struggled at times last year, but has a lot of returning experience. 

Frankly, this team is really hard to analyze because of the potential but unproven nature of the offense. There is a legitimate chance that the Tigers could go 12-0 or 9-3, and a lot will depend on how Riley and Klubnik are able to work together. The good news for Duke is that it gets Clemson for the first game of the season, so the Tigers could still be working out the kinks of a new system. The Blue Devils have advantages in quarterback-wide receiver chemistry and offensive experience, but Clemson knows how to win in this league and will present defensive challenges which Duke quarterback Riley Leonard and company have not seen yet. 

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Sports Editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and sports editor of The Chronicle's 120th volume.

Share and discuss “2023 Clemson football season preview” on social media.