As China lifts travel restrictions, Duke Kunshan University announces updated policies, hybrid classes for two weeks

<p>Duke Kunshan University.</p>

Duke Kunshan University.

Following the downgrade in COVID-19 classification in China, Duke Kunshan University students received updated policies regarding its campus in Kunshan on Monday. 

On Jan. 8, China downgraded its management of COVID-19 from Class A to Class B and lifted quarantine requirements for inbound travelers. 

There are no restrictions for domestic and overseas travel, and students are “not required to submit a travel request form or travel return form to register or seek pre-approval for the trip,” according to the email sent from DKU’s Emergency Preparedness Task Force.

Incoming travelers are no longer required to take quarantine or home health management steps, but the University is encouraging students to take at least one antigen test upon arrival. Test kits are available at the DKU Clinic. 

DKU’s classes will “be taught in hybrid mode for the first two weeks of Session 3 until after Spring Festival, when the situation will be re-evaluated,” according to a December email sent to DKU students from DKU Student Affairs. Session 3 started on Jan. 9. 

The December email encouraged graduate and undergraduate students to stay at home and take classes remotely until after Spring Festival. 

Further COVID-19 measures

Every member of the DKU community is expected to “take self-health monitoring” and are required to “complete a Staff and Faculty Health Report form or Students Health Report form” if experiencing COVID-related symptoms or test positive for COVID, per Monday's email. 

All community members are required to wear a mask when accessing “the facilities of the DKU canteen, classrooms, library,” according to the email. 

For campus access, community members will be required to present an access code to security staff. Campus visitors will need to be pre-approved. 

Those who have not completed a full dose of the COVID vaccination are asked to schedule one as soon as possible.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Kathryn Thomas profile
Kathryn Thomas | News Editor

Kathryn Thomas is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “As China lifts travel restrictions, Duke Kunshan University announces updated policies, hybrid classes for two weeks” on social media.