4-star 2023 forward Delaney Thomas commits to Duke women's basketball

Delaney Thomas is Duke's second 2023 commitment.

The 2022-23 season hasn’t even started yet, but Duke is already planning ahead.

Blue Devil fans got an exciting announcement Friday evening that 6-foot-2, four-star forward Delaney Thomas will be joining head coach Kara Lawson in Durham after her graduation in 2023. A product of St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C., Thomas marks the second official commitment of Duke’s forthcoming class.

Thomas is a talented player in the frontcourt and will add some much-needed depth to the Blue Devils after the departures of projected starters Elizabeth Balogun, Celeste Taylor and Taya Corosdale, among others. Thomas is a reliable scorer in the paint and excels at rebounding, logging 10.8 points and 7.8 rebounds per game during her time with the 2021 FIBA U16 World Cup team. On top of that, she is an exceptional dribbler and has a clean pull-up jumper, allowing her to reliably score from outside or find an open teammate when her usual channel to the rim is clogged.

Thomas is ranked No. 29 in the ESPN HoopGurlz 100 and becomes the Blue Devils’ second top-30 recruit in 2023, joining consensus No. 3 Jadyn Donovan, also out of Washington, D.C.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “4-star 2023 forward Delaney Thomas commits to Duke women's basketball” on social media.