CULTURE  |  MUSIC

What to expect from the 11th annual Governors Ball Music Festival

The Governors Ball Music Festival returns to New York City for its 11th year this weekend, showcasing over 60 artists across three stages and a multitude of genres. The festival will once again be hosted at Citi Field in Queens, following the success of the new location during the 10th anniversary Gov Ball last fall. This marks the third location change for the festival, which was originally held on Governors Island before an eight-year run on Randall’s Island due to the festival’s growth.

Kid Cudi, Halsey and J. Cole are headlining, but there are plenty of other artists to see and discover throughout the three days of the festival. Friday highlights include Lil Wayne and Jack Harlow. Lil Wayne is a new addition to the lineup, replacing Migos, who dropped out of the festival June 7. Harlow, who released his latest album “Come Home the Kids Miss You” in May, has been receiving underwhelming reviews as of late, but his charismatic stage presence is likely to result in a fantastic performance regardless. Other acts to check out on Friday include Blu DeTiger, a bassist with a lo-fi pop sound and catchy hooks, and BETWEEN FRIENDS, an alt-pop sibling duo that utilizes artistic visuals to bring the dreamy mood of their music to life.

Saturday, electropop producer Flume and former professional basketball player Shaquille O’Neal, performing under the stage name Diesel, offer options for people looking for a more electronic sound and high-energy set. O’Neal, who released four rap albums in the 1990s, has been performing as Diesel for the past few years, with sets he tailors to each specific audience. Denzel Curry, whose recent album “Melt My Eyez See Your Future” has been called his best yet,  is also likely to be a highlight for the day. Still Woozy’s indie-pop sound is perfect for anyone who wants a dreamy set for the start of summer, with songs from his pandemic first full length album, “If This Isn’t Nice, I Don’t Know What Is” expected to heavily feature. LDOC favorites Peach Tree Rascals will also perform on Friday. 

Sunday provides plenty of opportunities to see some of today’s most popular indie artists with Clairo, Glass Animals, COIN, Soccer Mommy and Japanese Breakfast all performing across the three stages. COIN is taking the stage with music from their most recent album, “Uncanny Valley” in addition to older hit songs such as “Talk Too Much” and “Crash My Car.” Rapper Duckwrth, fresh off of opening for Billie Eillish on her “Happier Than Ever” tour will also be taking the stage. At night, J. Cole’s set will conclude this year’s selection of performances, promising to be another incredible combination of music and visuals, following his recent success with Dreamville

Beyond the music, there will be plenty of opportunities to try new food from popular New York City vendors at the festival. Mac Truck NYC, Taqueria Diana and San Matteo Pizzeria E Cucina would all be great lunch options for anyone planning on arriving to the festival early. Van Leeuwen Ice Cream and Milk and Cream Cereal Bar will be there to satiate sweet tooths. The vendors at the festival have options for everyone regardless of dietary restrictions. For example, vegans can find a variety of dishes at Try Vegan and John’s Juice. Gov Ball’s food options are as extensive as the music acts they showcase and festival goers will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy both. 

Limited tickets are still available on Gov Ball’s website. Recess reporters will be covering the event live June 10-12 on Instagram and Twitter.

Share and discuss “What to expect from the 11th annual Governors Ball Music Festival” on social media.