Duke men’s basketball commit Tyrese Proctor reclassifies to Class of 2022

Proctor will join head coach Jon Scheyer's talent-heavy inaugural roster.

In a shocking turn, Tyrese Proctor will come to Durham a year early.

Proctor, a five-star guard in the Class of 2023, will reclassify to this year’s class and join head coach Jon Scheyer’s roster in 2022-23, per a team release Thursday evening. The 6-foot-4 Australian guard, who initially committed to Duke in April, will presumably fill the all-important backcourt opening next to rising junior guard Jeremy Roach, and should slide right into the Blue Devils’ opening-night starting five in November.

"The moment I stepped foot inside Cameron I knew it was where I belonged," Proctor said in Thursday’s release. "I'm ready to step up and face a new challenge where I maximize my development as a player and continue to grow on and off the court. Waiting a year to put on that Duke jersey was too long. After weighing my options with my family and coaches, I'm excited to announce I will be reclassifying up to the class of 2022. It will be an honor to join Coach Scheyer's first team and represent one of the best universities in the world on the basketball court. I can't wait to get to work at Duke!"

News of Proctor’s reclassification comes one day after Trevor Keels, an ACC All-Freshman guard for the Blue Devils in 2021-22, opted to remain in the upcoming NBA Draft. His decision left the shooting guard slot alongside Roach wide open, and despite widespread rumors of possible transfer-portal additions, Proctor’s decision to arrive in Durham ahead of time should be the solution the Blue Devils need at the position.

Proctor adds to the top-ranked incoming freshman class in 2022, becoming the seventh first-year Blue Devil set to be a part of Scheyer’s inaugural roster as head coach.

“We have had extensive talks with Tyrese and his family over the last few weeks and we are thrilled to be welcoming him on the 2022-23 team," Scheyer said in Thursday’s release. "Tyrese has a special feel for the game with great scoring instincts who will add to the versatility, competitiveness, and high character of this team. He is such an advanced player with an international basketball resume that includes his NBA Global Academy experience who is more than ready to take on this opportunity right now."

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men’s basketball commit Tyrese Proctor reclassifies to Class of 2022” on social media.