Duke to continue mask requirement in classrooms, on transit for Summer Session

<p>An N95 mask.</p>

An N95 mask.

After an increase in COVID-19 cases, Duke is still requiring masks for in-person classes, on Duke buses and vans and in all clinical settings for the Summer Session, according to a released email from Provost Sally Kornbluth and Paul Grantham, assistant vice president for communication services.

The email was sent to vice presidents, vice provosts, deans, directors, department heads and managers.

Duke reported 185 COVID-19 cases for the week of April 25 to May 1. There were 140 student cases and 45 cases among faculty and staff. The University's COVID-19 testing program ended on May 1, 2022 for the spring semester. 

No Duke faculty, staff or students are currently hospitalized, according to the email. 

“The current increase in COVID cases is the result of the BA.2 subvariant that has now become the dominant strain in our community,” the email read. 

Severe illness is less likely with the BA.2 subvariant, but there has been an increase in hospitalizations across North Carolina and in the Duke community, according to the email. 

The email emphasized that “masking remains one of the most effective ways to protect yourself and others, especially in indoor settings.”

The University has also added additional options for employee vaccination clinics and encourages everyone to “get a booster shot or second booster once eligible” to limit breakthrough infections and hospitalizations. 

The University is still offering limited walk-in surveillance testing during the Summer Session. Testing centers are located at the Washington Duke Inn from Monday to Wednesday and at the Levine Science Research Center on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Kathryn Thomas profile
Kathryn Thomas | News Editor

Kathryn Thomas is a Trinity junior and news editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke to continue mask requirement in classrooms, on transit for Summer Session” on social media.