Food trucks at 300 Swift Apartments offer tasty alternatives to on-campus dining

<p>Food trucks were also available outside of East Campus Union when it was temporarily closed in the spring.</p>

Food trucks were also available outside of East Campus Union when it was temporarily closed in the spring.

Tired of your usual Brodhead Center-Pitchfork’s-Panda rotation? Try out the three food trucks that serve food at the 300 Swift Apartments each week. 

These three food trucks come to Duke on a rotating basis and can be found in the Swift parking lot from 5 to 7 p.m. Students can use their food points at the food trucks. 

On Tuesdays, Poblanos Tacos offers Latin and Mexican cuisine. Poblanos Tacos offers tacos, quesadilla, burritos and nachos. Diners can choose to top their orders with various kinds of meats or a vegetable medley, and the truck offers rice and black beans as a side dish. 

On Mondays and Wednesdays, Gussy’s serves Greek street food. Gussy’s has options ranging from gyros and falafels to souvlaki, which are meat and vegetable skewers.

Junior Kay Conway suggests getting to Gussy’s right when it opens. Conway said that she likes the social aspect of purchasing food from a food truck.

“I see people who live in the building or my friends, and I can sit around and talk instead of just standing in line,” Conway said.

On Wednesdays and Thursdays, Fiori Trattoria serves made-to-order pasta bowls and Italian sandwiches.

Several students said that they welcome the variety that the food trucks bring beyond the items offered at the Brodhead Center and other campus dining locations.

“Food trucks are definitely the move because the food trucks are just as good, if not better than [the Brodhead Center], and it’s good to get a change,” senior Paul Wang said. 

Senior Karen Deng said that the chance to change up her meals “plays more of a part into [her] decision to come to the food trucks than the long lines at [the Brodhead Center].”  

Junior Dawei Gao echoed the other students’ enthusiasm. He said that he always gets the food trucks when they are at Swift and would recommend anybody else to try it. “Maybe you'll be surprised,” Gao said. 

Share and discuss “Food trucks at 300 Swift Apartments offer tasty alternatives to on-campus dining” on social media.