Police blotter: Arrests made near Biddle Music Building, Bryan Center last week

The Duke University Police Department made two arrests last week for on-campus crimes.

William Arthur Bibby was arrested Nov. 6 near the Biddle Music Building and charged with several offenses, including possession of burglary tools and second-degree trespassing. On Nov. 9, Robert Shepherd was apprehended after shoplifting items from the Bryan Center. 

Neither is affiliated with the University, according to DUPD Assistant Chief James Bjurstrom.

Bjurstrom noted that a call reporting a suspicious person “going through other people’s bags that were sitting on various desks” in Biddle prompted Bibby’s arrest. When officers arrived at the building, Bibby fled from the scene but was apprehended after a brief foot chase, Bjurstrom added. 

The report of Bibby’s arrest was made at 7:55 p.m., according to DUPD’s weekly report. Bibby has been charged with second-degree trespassing, possession of burglary tools and resisting, delaying or obstructing a police officer.

This isn’t the first time Bibby has allegedly committed a crime at the University, Bjurstrom wrote. DUPD has also previously charged him with two counts of misdemeanor larceny, four counts of first-degree trespassing and one count of simple assault, all for incidents allegedly occurring within the past several months.

Shepherd’s theft was reported at 3:02 p.m. Nov. 9 after he allegedly attempted to steal a black pair of Nike windbreaker pants from Duke Stores. He was charged with larceny and second-degree trespassing after the loss prevention team saw him take the pants, Bjurstrom wrote.

Share and discuss “Police blotter: Arrests made near Biddle Music Building, Bryan Center last week” on social media.