2019-20 Colorado State men's basketball preview

Colorado State Rams

2018-19 record: 12-20, 7-11 in the Mountain West

Head coach: Niko Medved

Tenure at Colorado State: 2nd season

Career coaching record: 91-107

Home court: Moby Arena

Starters: G Hyron Edwards, G Kendle Moore, F Adam Thistlewood, G Kris Martin, C Nico Carvacho

Bench: G Isaiah Stevens, G Teyvion Kirk, G P.J. Byrd, F James Moors, G Ignas Sargiunas, G John Tonje

Overview: Colorado State struggled in Niko Medved’s first year at the helm. The Rams could not pick up a big win against Power 5 foes Colorado and Arkansas during non-conference play, and a stretch of nine losses in 10 games from Thanksgiving through New Year’s derailed any hope of a bounce-back campaign. The Rams came close to a signature win down the stretch, taking NCAA tournament-bound Utah State to overtime at home March 5, but the Aggies prevailed 100-96.

Colorado State will take another stab at a turnaround this year, and it will bring back a significant portion of its offense in the process. The Rams return their leading scorer in Nico Carvacho alongside starters Kendle Moore and Adam Thistlewood. Kris Martin showed a lot of improvement during his redshirt-junior season, and will likely step into a starting role this season following the departures of J.D. Paige and Anthony Masinton-Bonner. 

One thing that needs to go right: Carvacho made the right decision to withdraw from the NBA draft and he continues his paint dominance. The redshirt-senior becomes the Mountain West’s all-time leading rebounder—he currently ranks second—and is surrounded by enough shooting to get the Rams back above .500. 

One thing that could go wrong: The Rams enter the season with eight new faces, and they struggle to find their place. The rotation remains a constantly changing puzzle, and opponents can pack the paint with a lack of alternative scoring threats. 

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2019-20 Colorado State men's basketball preview” on social media.