2019 NCAA tournament preview: Duke

Duke Blue Devils: 29-5, 14-4 in the Atlantic Coast Conference 

Head coach: Mike Krzyzewski (39th season) 

Players to watch: Zion Williamson (22.1 PPG, 8.9 RPG, .693 FG%, 2.2 SPG); R.J. Barrett (22.9 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 4.1 APG), Cam Reddish (13.7 PPG, .327 3PT%) 

Season recap: After dismantling then-No. 2 Kentucky Wildcats in the Champions Classic by a score of 118-84, the Blue Devils got off to a hot start, beginning the season 14-1. Injuries seem to be the only thing to slow the Blue Devils, as Krzyzewski’s squad ended the season dropping only one game at full strength. After losing three of the final six regular season games with Zion Williamson out, the Blue Devils were able to capture Coach K’s 15th ACC Championship with an impressive three-day stretch featuring wins over Syracuse, North Carolina and Florida State. 

The Blue Devils are a menacing team in the paint driven by the dynamic freshman duo of R.J. Barrett and Williamson. Williamson, who was recently named Sporting News’ National Player of the Year, is just about unstoppable when he gets the ball in the paint, and Barrett’s ability to penetrate and hunt baskets has terrorized teams all season. The two combine to average 45 of Duke’s 83.5 points per game. They are complimented by fellow freshman Tre Jones and Cam Reddish, in addition to a much-improved junior center Marques Bolden. 

While most of the scoring comes from the two stars, Jones may be Duke’s best defensive player. Jones, who spearheads a Duke defense that is first in the nation in blocks per game and fourth in steals, has consistently shut down the ACC’s best point guards while also averaging over five assists per game. Despite having four of the most talented freshmen in the NCAA, the Blue Devils have proven to be mortal largely due to their poor 3-point shooting. 

How they make a run: Jordan Goldwire continues to be a spark off the bench, Reddish gets hot from three, Barrett continues his dominance from the regular season and Williamson wills Duke back to the Final Four. 

How they falter: The Blue Devils fall in love with the 3-ball allowing their opponent into a close game which Duke drops with poor shooting at the charity stripe. 

Share and discuss “2019 NCAA tournament preview: Duke” on social media.