Duke women's basketball freshman Rayah Craig to miss remainder of 2018-19 campaign

<p>Rayah Craig was one of the few bright spots for the Blue Devils in their opener against Northwestern.</p>

Rayah Craig was one of the few bright spots for the Blue Devils in their opener against Northwestern.

Blue Devil freshman Rayah Craig will not be enrolled at Duke during the 2019 spring semester due to "an unspecified violation of university policy." 

The Scottsdale, Ariz., native has appeared in nine games for the Blue Devils and made a start in Duke's road matchup against Maine. Craig averaged 2.8 points, 1.2 rebounds and played an average of 10.3 minutes a game. 

The 5-foot-10 guard played a key role in the Blue Devils' season opener against Northwestern, in which she scored 13 points in only 20 minutes of action. Though Duke lost that road battle, Craig sparked a comeback to facilitate a strong Blue Devil comeback in the fourth quarter. 

The loss of Craig will mean one less guard for an already small Duke roster, as redshirt junior Kyra Lambert will not play at all this season due to injury. Boykin is also returning from injury, so her minutes may remain limited as the team enters ACC play. 

Both of these factors will most likely mean more playing time for sophomore Jayda Adams off the bench, as Craig was a consistent sixth man for Duke. The Blue Devils will now lean almost entirely on Adams and freshman Miela Goodchild to spark success if the Duke's primary offensive options, Haley Gorecki and Leoanna Odom, struggle on that end of the floor.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball freshman Rayah Craig to miss remainder of 2018-19 campaign” on social media.