Duke in the NBA: Checking in with every former Blue Devil before the 2018-19 season

<p>Kyrie Irving, who made headlines for admitting that Earth is in fact round, will lead a talented Celtics roster this season.</p>

Kyrie Irving, who made headlines for admitting that Earth is in fact round, will lead a talented Celtics roster this season.

With the 2018-19 season quickly approaching, the Blue Zone checks in on every former Blue Devil on an NBA team.

Grayson Allen, Utah Jazz

After his four years with the great Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, Allen looks to make a quick impact in the NBA. He will play for former Duke player Quin Snyder, and joins Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert on a talented Jazz roster. It will be interesting to see Allen’s catch-and-shoot ability in the NBA and how he develops on this roster. 

Marvin Bagley III, Sacramento Kings

The second pick in the NBA draft looks to come out and make an impact on a Kings team which managed 27 wins last season. He will be joining De’Aaron Fox and former Duke forward Harry Giles. Although it will take time for the pair to lead the Kings to success, it will be exciting to see Bagley develop alongside Giles. 

Wendell Carter Jr, Chicago Bulls

Drafted by the Bulls with the seventh pick in the NBA draft last year, Carter hopes to step into the spotlight on a rather weak Chicago Bulls roster. He will be playing center for the Bulls, who hope he will become “the guy” for the team. 

Quinn Cook, Golden State Warriors

Coming off a championship season in Golden State, Cook plays on a team looking to win their third straight title. Cook was a key role player during the playoffs last season and looks to build on that role as he starts his third season in the NBA.

Seth Curry, Portland Trailblazers

Curry left the Mavericks, and looks to play as a role player behind the dynamic duo of C.J. McCollum and Damian Lillard. 

Luol Deng, Minnesota Timberwolves

The oldest Duke product still in the league will be playing his fourteenth season in the NBA this year. He joins a veteran-loaded Timberwolves, and will most likely be a role player with a small role in the offense, hoping to relive the glory from his days on the Bulls as he reunites with coach Tom Thibodeau.

Harry Giles III, Sacramento Kings

Giles looks to finally make an impact in the NBA, as he was unable to debut last year, despite speculation he would play in January. He joins a very talented but young Kings roster as he and Bagley hope to improve upon the Kings disappointing season last year. 

Rodney Hood, Cleveland Cavaliers

Hoodstarted last season with the Utah Jazz before being traded to the Cavaliers at the trade deadline. Although he had an off season last year, with injuries and off-the-court issues, It will be exciting to see if he is able to improve upon his role this season. 

Brandon Ingram, Los Angeles Lakers

Ingram is on one of the most exciting young rosters coming into this season. With the recent addition of Lebron James, the role of Ingram will likely shift. He will likely retain a starting role, but how he will mesh with James remains to be seen. 

Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics

Irving recently made headlines for something than basketball—he finally admitted the Earth is not flat!

The guard, who is in a contract year, returns to a Celtics team that was the top seed in the Eastern Conference. Irving has been surrounded by rumors as to where he will be going next year, with many Knicks fans, including myself, buying into the hype. 

Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves

Jones is on a Timberwolves roster led by a young duo in Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins. Star forward Jimmy Butler seems to be on his way out and we may see Jones increase his playing time and start to make more of an impact on the team. 

Luke Kennard, Detroit Pistons

Kennard comes off a rookie season with the Pistons that was not very eventful, as he was moving in between the G-league team and the NBA roster constantly. Hopefully we will see him consistently on the NBA roster this season and making an impact. 

Semi Ojeleye, Boston Celtics

Just because Ojeleye finished his career at SMU  does not mean he did not start his career at Duke. He is an impactful role player on the Celtics, and Krzyzewski must be upset he let this gem walk. 

Jahlil Okafor, New Orleans Pelicans

It has been a shaky start to Okafor’s career, who was drafted by the 76ers back in 2015 and has seen a new roster each year. He has not turned out exactly how many expected, but there is still time, as his career is still young and he may be able to breakout alongside Anthony Davis in New Orleans. 

Jabari Parker, Chicago Bulls

Parker’s career has been okay so far but he has definitely had his trouble with injuries, suffering two torn ACLs in his four years with the Bucks. When he has seen the court, he has made his impact, and the change of scenery could be good for Parker.

Mason Plumlee, Denver Nuggets

Plumlee has been a consistent player in the league since he entered in 2013. He is in his second season with the Nuggets, playing a complementary role behind Nikola Jokic, one of the best centers in the NBA. 

Miles Plumlee, Atlanta Hawks

The second Plumlee brother in the NBA has joined the Atlanta Hawks after bouncing around the NBA ever since he came into the league, and hopes to avoid extended time in the G-League this winter.

J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers

After signing a one-year contract with the team last year, Redick signed another one-year deal with the 76ers this past season. He will rejoin a squad that has the potential to make the NBA finals. 

Austin Rivers, Washington Wizards

After playing for his father on the Los Angeles Clippers most of his career, Rivers has left the nest and gone to play in Washington behind John Wall and Bradley Beal. 

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

Arguably Duke’s player that is under the age of 25, Tatum is looking at a very promising career after a very good rookie campaign, coming in third in Rookie of the Year voting behind Ben Simmons and Donovan Mitchell. 

Lance Thomas, New York Knicks

Thomas is a key defensive player and a great role player for the Knicks, contributing for the past few years as they rebuild. 

Gary Trent Jr, Portland Trailblazers

Like Seth Curry, Trent will be joining a talented Trailblazers roster. He has a great three-point shot and should be able to adjust relatively easily to the NBA three point distance, as he hit multiple threes from that distance with ease last season. 

Justise Winslow, Miami Heat

Winslow is entering his third season for the Miami Heat, and hopes to help this team make the playoffs as Dwayne Wade enters his final season in the NBA. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Checking in with every former Blue Devil before the 2018-19 season” on social media.