X Factor: Can Daniel Jones stay hot against one of the best pass rushers in America?

Jones has picked up the pace after a sluggish stretch in the middle of the season.

The Blue Devils look to cap off their roller coaster of a 2017 campaign—that included a six-game losing streak after starting out 4-0—with a victory over the Northern Illinois Huskies in the Quick Lane Bowl Dec. 26 in Detroit. The Blue Zone breaks down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest:

Duke: Quarterback Daniel Jones

It’s no secret that the Blue Devils’ success is directly tied to the success of starting quarterback Daniel Jones. The redshirt sophomore’s second season as Duke’s starter has been a bit disappointing. After being lauded as one of the top quarterbacks in the ACC heading into the season, he has posted worse numbers than he did as a redshirt freshman. His completion percentage has fallen seven percent, he has lost nearly a yard per attempt off his average, and has thrown fewer touchdowns and more interceptions that last year. 

Despite his overall struggles, Jones has shown flashes of brilliance this season. As expected, Jones has been solid in the Blue Devils’ triumphs and subpar in their defeats. In Duke wins, the Charlotte native compiles a respectable 61.7 completion percentage and averages 6.83 yards per attempt, in addition to amassing 44.84 rushing yards per game. 

But Duke’s six losses, Jones has only managed to complete 49.5 percent of his passes on 4.96 yards per attempt and rushes for just 27.17 yards per contest. Evidently, Jones’s up-and-down play has been a major contributing factor to the Blue Devils’ turbulence as a team. 

If head coach David Cutcliffe is to lead Duke to only its second bowl win since 1961, he needs to make sure his quarterback is both efficient and aggressive. When Duke’s offense has struggled, Jones has relied too heavily on check down passes and has been errant in his throws. If Jones can succeed against Northern Illinois’ stout defense and help the Blue Devils establish a balance offense, they are in good shape to emerge victorious.

Northern Illinois: Defensive end Sutton Smith

The FBS leader in tackles for loss, tackle yards for loss, sack yards for loss, and second in total sacks is none other than Northern Illinois defensive end Sutton Smith. The undersized sophomore—standing at 6’1” and weighing in at 225 pounds—has been nothing short of dominant in 2017.

A former running back, Smith’s speed and athleticism is rare at his position. Even with roughly a 100-pound advantage on Smith, most offensive linemen struggled to contain the nimble sophomore in his consensus All-American season for the Huskies. Duke’s offensive line, led by tackles Zach Harmon and Julian Santos, will certainly have their hands full with Smith. 

The Blue Devils’ offensive line will be without the unit’s coach in Marcus Johnson for the Quick Lane Bowl, as Johnson accepted a position at Mississippi State. This may make Duke’s near impossible task of slowing down Sutton Smith even more difficult. But if the Blue Devils can slow Sutton and Northern Illinois' ominous pass rush, Jones should have the time to make consistent throws and keep their offense pumping. 

READ MORE on Smith and Jones: Film room: Is Duke's offensive revival for real?

Share and discuss “X Factor: Can Daniel Jones stay hot against one of the best pass rushers in America?” on social media.