2017 Boston College football season preview

2016 record: 7-6, 2-6 in the ACC, 6th in the Atlantic Division 

Head coach: Steve Addazio (5th season)

Boston College bounced back from a horrific 2015 season to earn a spot in the Quick Lane Bowl and even grabbed a victory in a wild game over Maryland. But the Eagles had trouble against top teams, including back to back blowout losses to Louisville and Florida State towards the end of the season. 

Boston College regressed slightly on the defensive side of the ball in 2016 after losing heralded coordinator Don Brown to Michigan during the offseason. The Eagles were still a formidable unit though, allowing only an average of eight points per game during their six regular season wins. They were especially stout against the run, allowing a measly average of 3.4 yards per carry.

Head coach Steve Addazio’s team will likely once again have one of the nation’s top defenses. Boston College brings back senior defensive end Harold Laundry, who led the nation in sacks last year with 16.5. Most of the secondary returns as well, leaving the Eagles well stocked on that side of the ball. 

Their season will depend on whether Addazio can conjure some offense out of a unit that was anemic last year. Boston College ranked 124th in total offense last season, only averaging 293 yards per game. Any improvement will require big strides from new quarterback Darius Wade who will have some experienced targets to throw too. The Eagles have some returning starters on the offensive line as well who will be tasked with establishing a run game that was nonexistent at times last season. 

A tougher schedule this year means that it is imperative that Boston College gets off on the right foot against Northern Illinois and Wake Forest or they may risk missing a bowl game. The Eagles will travel to Clemson and Louisville and will have tough home matchups against Notre Dame and Florida State. Addazio could end the season on the hot seat if things go south. 

Share and discuss “2017 Boston College football season preview” on social media.