2017 NCAA tournament preview: South Dakota State

South Dakota State Jackrabbits: 18-16, 8-8 in the Summit League

Head coach: T.J. Otzelberger (1st season)

Players to watch: Mike Daum (25.3 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 41.6 3PT%); Reed Tellinghuisen (11.9 PPG, 4.7 RPG); Michael Orris (8.3 PPG, 4.0 APG)

Season recap: After going just .500 in conference play, the Jackrabbits won three straight games in the Summit League tournament to secure their fourth appearance in the Big Dance in six years. South Dakota State was on the brink of elimination in its semifinal matchup against South Dakota, trailing by as many as 16 points in the first half before rallying late and getting a deep two from Orris with 1.4 seconds remaining to come away with the win. The Jackrabbits then used 37 points and 12 rebounds from Daum to topple Omaha in the championship game and clinch a spot in the Big Dance.  

Although South Dakota State has five players averaging more than 7.5 points per game, the Jackrabbits rely on Daum to lead the way. The Summit League Player of the Year shoots 41.6 percent from deep and better than 87 percent from the charity stripe as the focal point of the team's offense. South Dakota State's biggest weakness this season has been taking care of the ball, and turnover problems have been a big reason why the team has struggled to win consistently. The Jackrabbit defense has not been much better, surrendering 77.4 points per game and allowing opponents to shoot 37.6 percent from deep—a mark that ranks 302nd in the country. 

How they make a run: Daum—who had a 51-point, 15-rebound outburst against Fort Wayne earlier this season—has a spectacular shooting night and helps South Dakota State hang in the game against a more talented Power-5 conference team. 

How they falter: Time runs out for the "Cardiac Jacks" and South Dakota State has trouble finding a reliable scoring threat other than its anchor inside. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: South Dakota State ” on social media.