Halftime: Duke 27, Tennessee State 23

Harry Giles made his much-anticipated debut, but Blue Devil fans haven't had much else to cheer about in the first half of Saturday's game against Tennessee State.

Duke leads the Tigers just 27-23 and has looked very rusty in its first game after an eight-day exam break, shooting just 28.0 percent from the floor. The Blue Devils have struggled to handle Tennessee State's athleticism and aggressive defense, but are holding their own on the defensive end to cling to a slim lead.

Giles did not start but entered the game following the under-12 timeout. The Winston-Salem, N.C., native missed a contested midrange jumper on his first possession on the floor and did not attempt a shot the rest of his four minutes in the game.

The Tigers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, but sophomore guard Luke Kennard responded with a triple from the corner to put Duke on the board. Two free throws by Grayson Allen gave the Blue Devils their first lead at 5-4, but the lead changed hands several more times in the half.

After two free throws by Kennard put Duke back in front 14-13 midway through the half, Tennessee State rattled off six straight points, attacking the basket repeatedly for contested layups to challenge the Blue Devils in the paint and holding Duke scoreless for more than four minutes.

The Blue Devils came right back with seven straight points highlighted by a driving layup from Kennard, who leads all players with 11 points, but the Tigers regained the lead with a 3-point play in the paint.

Two free throws from Kennard with two minutes left finally gave Duke a lead it has not relinquished, and the Blue Devils closed the half on a 6-1 run to create some separation heading into the locker room.

Here are some observations from the first half:

• The Blue Devils' 27 points marked their lowest-scoring half of the season. Their previous low was 34 points against Rhode Island.
  • Duke spent much of the half in a full-court zone press after made baskets and forced nine turnovers, including one steal in the backcourt that turned into a breakaway dunk for freshman Jayson Tatum.
  • The Tigers are using nearly all of the shot clock on most of their possessions, shortening the game and keeping the Blue Devils from playing at the fast pace they are comfortable with.
  • Duke's three captains are all struggling to start the game. Jones, Allen and Amile Jefferson have combined for just 11 points on 2-of-13 shooting.
  • Freshman center Marques Bolden played six minutes but still does not look comfortable on the floor with no points and no rebounds.
  • The Blue Devils have made up for their struggles from the field by getting to the free-throw line 17 times, converting on 11 of their attempts.

Share and discuss “Halftime: Duke 27, Tennessee State 23” on social media.