Duke football player of the week: Week 1

<p>Redshirt senior Jela Duncan matched his career high with 115 rushing yards Saturday against N.C. Central.</p>

Redshirt senior Jela Duncan matched his career high with 115 rushing yards Saturday against N.C. Central.

Jela Duncan

Statline: 15 carries for 115 yards and two touchdowns

The good: Redshirt senior Jela Duncan broke free for a 50-yard touchdown run on Duke’s second play of the season from scrimmage to spark the Blue Devils’ 49-6 season-opening rout of N.C. Central. The 5-foot-10 running back also scored Duke’s second touchdown of the evening with a three-yard run less than 10 minutes into the game and topped the 100-yard mark for the third time in his career.

Duncan’s 115 rushing yards matched a career-high he set last season against North Carolina. The Charlotte native consistently found holes in the Eagles’ defensive front and averaged 7.7 yards per carry to help the Blue Devils move the chains 29 times. If Duncan continues to be a reliable threat in short-yardage situations, he will take a lot of pressure off of redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Jones to make plays in close games.

The bad: Much of the discussion surrounding Duke’s running back corps focused on its depth, but Duncan did not get much help from backups Shaun Wilson and Joseph Ajeigbe, who combined for just 36 rushing yards on 14 carries. Wilson showed flashes of brilliance at times during his first two years in Durham, but N.C. Central never gave the junior space to show off his speed in the open field. Wilson was also a virtual non-factor in the passing game—where he has been effective in the past—catching one pass for 11 yards.

The bottom line: Duncan was able to break free for a long touchdown run against an inferior opponent, but he is a physical running back with a style more suited for short yardage situations against stiff competition. His strength complements Wilson’s speed well, though Wilson will have to be more consistent in future games for the Blue Devils’ rushing attack to realize its potential.

Honorable Mention: Redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Jones had an impressive debut, completing 10-of-15 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns and tallying another touchdown on the ground. Jones connected with redshirt sophomore wide receiver Johnathan Lloyd for a 55-yard touchdown pass on the longest play of the night and also lofted a 35-yard completion to T.J. Rahming on an impressive downfield pass into tight coverage to set Duke up for another score. Although Jones underthrew receivers on a few plays, the Charlotte native showed glimpses of why he won the starting job in fall camp.

Share and discuss “Duke football player of the week: Week 1” on social media.