Quinn Cook earns D-League Rookie of the Year honors

Former Blue Devil Quinn Cook did not make an NBA roster after captaining Duke's 2014-15 team to the national championship, but he still made the most of his first year in the professional ranks.

Cook was named the 2015-16 NBA Development League Rookie of the Year Monday after leading the Canton Charge with 19.6 points per game and 5.4 assists per game. The 6-foot-2 point guard shot 38.2 percent from long range and knocked down 2.0 triples per game, lighting up the scoreboard from all over the floor. 

Cook started 37 of the Charge's 50 regular-season games, helping the team to a third-place finish in the D-League's Eastern Conference and a spot in the best-of-three conference finals against the top-seeded Sioux Falls Skyforce, with Game 1 set for Tuesday night.

The Washington native scored 1,571 points during his college career—putting him at 28th on the Blue Devils' all-time scoring list—and started all 39 games as a senior, averaging 15.3 points per contest. He joined the Cleveland Cavaliers for training camp last summer after going undrafted, but was waived just before the season started.

Cook's Rookie of the Year recognition garnered praise from several Blue Devil coaches on Twitter, including associate head coach Jeff Capel and special assistant Nolan Smith—a longtime friend of Cook.

But the most meaningful endorsement may have come from four-time NBA MVP Lebron James of the nearby Cavaliers.

The Charge are the Cavaliers' D-League affiliate, and Cook could soon be James' teammate at the highest level if he continues to build on his success from this season.

Share and discuss “Quinn Cook earns D-League Rookie of the Year honors” on social media.