Duke in the MLB: Stroman notches another victory

Former Blue Devil Marcus Stroman continued his consistent start to the season with another win for the Toronto Blue Jays Tuesday night.

Stroman tossed seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits and just one walk to lift the Blue Jays past the Baltimore Orioles 4-3. The 5-foot-8 right-hander improved to 3-0 on the season and lowered his ERA to 4.13 with the quality start.

Toronto handed Stroman a 3-0 cushion early and tacked on another insurance run in the top of the seventh inning after Stroman surrendered a solo home run to star third baseman Manny Machado in the fourth frame.

The Blue Jays’ final run proved to be valuable when Stroman faltered in the bottom half of the seventh, allowing a leadoff infield single to Mark Trumbo before Matt Wieters drilled a two-run homer to pull the Orioles within one. But Stroman settled down to retire the next three batters, and his bullpen held Baltimore scoreless to preserve the win.

The Medford, N.Y., native took the mound in style for his start, giving a nod to newly-retired NBA star Kobe Bryant—one of his childhood idols—with his shoe selection.

Stroman has now tossed at least seven innings in three of his four starts to begin the season, and Toronto’s staff ace is slated to take the hill again Monday night against the Chicago White Sox.

Chris Capuano—Duke’s other alumnus in the MLB—made two relief appearances last week for the Milwaukee Brewers, allowing just one hit and one walk in two scoreless innings Thursday against the Minnesota Twins before Maikel Franco took him deep for a solo homer in the seventh inning of a loss Friday against the Philadelphia Phillies. Capuano has struggled to keep the ball in the park of late, allowing three home runs in his last four appearances as his ERA has dropped to 4.09.

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Stroman notches another victory” on social media.