Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Amile Jefferson

<p>Jefferson starred for the first month of the season, but missed Duke's last 27 games with a fractured right foot.</p>

Jefferson starred for the first month of the season, but missed Duke's last 27 games with a fractured right foot.

Amile Jefferson

Season breakdown:

Jefferson's senior season got off to an impressive start but was abruptly cut short after nine games when the 6-foot-9 power forward fractured a bone in his right foot during practice in early December. At the time of his injury, Jefferson was expected to return near the end of the season, but he healed slower than expected and was officially shut down for the season before Duke took on North Carolina March 5. The Philadelphia native is eligible for a medical hardship waiver from the NCAA since he played in less than 30 percent of his team's games, and he will have one more year of eligibility in Durham if the waiver is granted.

During the first three years of his career, Jefferson never averaged more than 6.5 points per game and was primarily a defensive stopper, which was on full display in the 2015 national championship when he shut down Wisconsin's Frank Kaminsky for much of the second half. But he also demonstrated a very effective offensive game for the first month of this season, nearly doubling his career high with 11.4 points per game and shooting at a 68.3 percent clip from the field.

Jefferson was also relentless on the glass as one of a handful of players in the country averaging a double-double before he got hurt. The Blue Devils missed his rebounding prowess the rest of the year against strong frontcourt players like Utah's Jakob Poeltl, Syracuse's Tyler Roberson, Notre Dame's Zach Auguste and North Carolina's Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks, who all dominated the boards in wins against the Blue Devils.

Results relative to expectations:

Most of Duke's scoring this year came from sophomore Grayson Allen and freshmen Brandon Ingram and Luke Kennard, as expected, but Jefferson was a surprising offensive weapon before his injury. He finished consistently around the basket when defenders helped off of him to defend Blue Devil guards driving into the paint, and he continued to provide reliable post defense on the other end of the floor. Jefferson is expected to be eligible to play next year, and he will be looked upon to provide valuable leadership and consistency in what will likely be his second year as a team captain.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2015-16 player review: Amile Jefferson” on social media.