Bring back more than sunshine

Students returned to campus this weekend washing the sand from their hair and looking forward—in vain unfortunately—to showing off their tans with short sleeves and shorts. Many undoubtedly spent their time out of the country, on beautiful Caribbean beaches soaking up the sun and updating Instagram or sightseeing on quick jaunts to Europe. Before suitcases are unpacked and classes kick back into gear in the countdown to LDOC, now is a crucial time to reflect on what we should make of our favorite vacation spots such as Jamaica, the Bahamas and Cancun and their complex histories and rich cultures. We have to be responsible travelers and think about how we can become better global citizens even on our breaks, taking every opportunity to think beyond tourist traps to the political, social and cultural spaces we occupy. This message is not one of reprimand but rather a reminder that we can dream bigger in what we take away from our travels.

Duke students are in unique positions compared to most. As we go further in life, we gain further influence over the industries, businesses, organizations and universities we make our careers at. To whom much is given, much is required. We owe it to ourselves and fellow Earth residents to be conscious of our world and to make active efforts to understand how we fit into larger communities. We hold the powerful American passport especially during a time when countries the world over are struggling with immigration and refugee crises. There are huge complexities beneath and around the actions and freedoms we take for granted; it is crucial that we take the time to appreciate and understand them.

There is no doubt that tourism is an essential part of the economies of many destination cities and countries. Moving away from the beaches, foreigner bar areas and top TripAdvisor destinations is the first step to exploring the history of these regions and how America or European countries have affected their past, particularly in places that were previously colonized or militarily dominated. Take time to deepen your travel experiences with a day in the museums or a visit to historical landmarks. Engage with your surroundings on more than a skin-deep level. Try to embody what it means to be a global citizen. There are upwards of seven billion people in the world and so much out there to learn and explore. Challenge your perceptions of cultures and places by resisting passivity and complacency in your hammock or beach house.

To get a more holistic understanding of the global community, students need not even leave Durham. The refugees in our own backyard can bring insight into what nationhood means. Additionally, 14.5 percent of the Class of 2019 is international, and these students carry with them a breadth of knowledge of amazing regions of the world that can come out in great cultural exchanges. The gap between you and the world outside our borders is never too vast to traverse. See the opportunities to expand your worldview and enrich your own perspectives and approaches to people and problems. Our time in university is relatively short, and there will not likely be another time in our life where it is this easy to learn so much from those around us and share what we learn. Take advantage of it. One of the most important things that comes out of your college experience is yourself.

Share and discuss “Bring back more than sunshine” on social media.