Key Three: Duke basketball vs Siena

After a long offseason, No. 5 Duke finally takes the court this Friday looking to start their national title defense on the right note. In their first matchup of the year, the Blue Devils will take on Siena from the MAAC conference in the 2K Classic. Here are three keys to a Duke victory Friday: 

Play strong defense for 40 minutes

In Duke’s first preseason exhibition against Florida Southern, the Blue Devils rushed out to a 15-2 run to open up the game. But instead of building on their opening run, Duke allowed the Moccasins to respond with a 18-9 run that cut the Blue Devil lead to as little as four. Although Duke went on a big run to end the game, it was surprising to see a Division II team slice up the Blue Devil defense and get open looks with such ease and a talented Siena team could do even more damage if given the opportunity.

Last season, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski saw his team struggle in man-to-man sets and turned to a zone scheme that allowed the defense to play to its strengths. Krzyzewski continued to fiddle with the team's defense during the exhibition season and if the Blue Devils struggle Friday, look for Duke to continue searching for a defensive system that fits its roster best. 

Win the paint

Siena’s captain Brett Bisping and big man Imoh Silas are back on the court and looking to have an impact after returning from injuries last season. At 6-foot-8 and 238 pounds, Bisping is a tremendous rebounder and can make his presense felt on the court. Silas, on the other hand, was one of the best shot-blokcers in the MAAC in 2013-14, averaging nearly two blocks a game, and will attempt to return to that level after missing all of last year with a torn ACL.

Duke big men Marshall Plumlee, Chase Jeter and Amile Jefferson need to win the rebounding battle, and stop the athletic duo from putting up shots inside the paint. If they can stop both Bisping and Silas  from having strong game, the Saints will be forced to settle for outside jumpers, where they struggled a year ago. Only four Siena players shot better than 32-percent from deep last season and the team as a whole struggled to stretch the floor against better defenses. If the Blue Devils can defend well and dominate on the boards, Duke could allow itself to dictate where the Saints look for offense. 

Get out on the break

Pushing the ball will keep Siena’s defense on its heels and could allow the Blue Devils to get off to a quick start. Freshmen Derryck Thornton and Brandon Ingram, along with sophomore Grayson Allen, are all capable of taking the ball coast-to-coast and finishing off of turnovers. With Duke's speed being one of its greatest strengths this season, the Blue Devils could overwhelm the Saints early and often in transition.  

In addition to easy, the transition game will also open up good kickout opportunities for three-pointer attempts from others on the Duke roster. If the Blue Devils finish in transition and knock down open threes, they are going to be a tough team to beat all season.

Share and discuss “Key Three: Duke basketball vs Siena ” on social media.