Duke in the NFL: Week 1 and 2

With Week 2 of the NFL season in the books, the Blue Zone looks at the contributions of former Blue Devils who find themselves on professional rosters. From rookies to practice squad to starters, here’s how some of Blue Devils have faired on the gridiron. 

Kenny Anunike, Denver Broncos: The defensive end returned to Broncos practice for the first time in a month today, after undergoing a knee scope on Aug. 20. After looking good in preseason play, Anunike’s return to full health will be very important for Denver’s defense, which has performed well thus far this season. Anunike could provide depth as the long NFL season takes its toll on an older Broncos roster. 

Jamison Crowder, Washington Redskins: Drafted in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the rookie has made his mark for the Redskins on special teams. As Washington’s punt returner, Crowder has slowly acclimated himself to speed at the next level and has returned seven punts for 35 yards. The wide receiver is currently fifth on the Redskins’ depth chart, but has made caught his two targets on the season for a total of seven yards. 

As Washington’s quarterback drama slowly dies down and current starter Kirk Cousins finds a rhythm, look for Crowder to have more opportunities to stand out on the field. 

Vincent Rey, Cincinnati Bengals: After emerging as a vocal defensive leader a year ago, Rey retained the starting role he inherited from injuries last season and is building on his success. Through two games, Rey has eight tackles and has assisted on five more. With the return of defensive tackle Geno Atkins, Rey is working to grow increasingly comfortable alongside the Bengals’ front seven. If the former Blue Devil continues to play at his current level, he may begin to step into the spotlight and garner more attention from pundits around the league. 

Juwan Thompson, Denver Broncos: Stuck behind C.J. Anderson and Ronnie Hillman in the depth chart, Thompson has yet to receive a rushing attempt this season. But with the Broncos' offense struggling in the early going, the running back may soon have his chance to make an impact on the field. 

Ross Cockrell, Pittsburgh Steelers: After officially signing with the Steelers in early September, Cockrell started in the team's Week 2 matchup against the San Francisco 49ers in place of the injured Cortez Allen and Brandon Boykin. Cockrell helped the Steelers' secondary contain 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in a 43-18 rout. The cornerback seems to have the support of the Steelers organization—who targeted him before the draft—and may see even more playing time in the future based on merit, if not injuries.

Cooper Helfet, Seattle Seahawks: Helfet has battled a knee injury during the first two weeks of the regular season that has sidelined him for most of Seattle’s action thus far. Helfet did not see a pass come his way in Week 1 against the Rams and was inactive in Week 2. The tight end sits behind Jimmy Graham and Luke Wilson on the depth chart, so the road to playing time looks difficult.

Laken Tomlinson, Detroit Lions: Tomlinson has fallen behind Manny Ramirez on the depth chart and is currently serving as the backup offensive guard for the Lions. With Ramirez having signed a one-year contract with the Lions this offseason, this year will likely be used as an adjustment period for the team to integrate Tomlinson into the flow of the offense. Look for Tomlinson to slowly get some more game action and potentially crack the starting lineup by the end of the season. 

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Week 1 and 2 ” on social media.