Being more grateful for my next meal

After a long day of hard work, studying all day, taking tests and managing conflicting meetings, how nice it is to be able to sit down to a steaming, hot plate of fresh veggies, crispy French fries and a juicy burger. Right? Think again. Not everybody’s dinner experience is similar.

In North Carolina, one in six people struggle with hunger. Even more children, over 25 percent, struggle with hunger and are dependent on food programs offered through school lunches or breakfasts. Over 110,000 kids in the service area for the Interfaith Food Shuttle of Durham and Raleigh applied for free or reduced price meals in 2012-2013 alone. Another organization which serves the needs of this community is the Urban Ministries of Durham. They welcome more than 6,000 people each year who come seeking food, shelter, clothing and supportive services.

So as we wrap up this busy semester and are about to enjoy the summer vacation, it’s a good time to realize that we have the power to make a difference. Vacation can be an increased burden of food insecurity for both adults and children alike, especially when there is no school program in place. There are many opportunities going on this week for those of us currently with the ability to help. Often times, we don’t realize how much money we’re spending on our food habits, and making simple changes, even if just for a week, can actually have a huge impact on somebody else’s life. As the year closes out for me, personally, I know that I’m spending my remaining food points more lavishly. As a part of my Food, Environment and Development class hosted by the Nicolas School, a number of students are taking on all sorts of challenges that might allow us to save some of the money we’d normally spend on food and instead donate it to a fundraiser going on this week. An example of a challenge is to give up coffee for the week and donate whatever money you save from not buying coffee to a family in need. Spending four dollars on coffee a day adds up to 28 dollars a week, which can greatly impact the amount of food or even type of food an entire family will eat from your donation.

For those of you with extra food points, remember that they will go to waste at the end of the school year! Instead of letting those points go to waste or spending them on extravagance, I urge you to take a moment to reflect on how grateful you are for your next meal, and spend the time to share that feeling by helping feed somebody who isn’t as fortunate.

Beginning on Thursday this week, there will be a food drive to collect canned goods which will be donated to the Central and Eastern North Carolina Food Bank. They are asking for canned fruits, meats and vegetables, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, dried beans and peanut butter, to list a few of the most popular items. In these collection bins, I encourage you to purchase some fresh fruits and vegetables since many times these are the most expensive of food items, and thus many families cannot afford to eat them. These fresh fruits and vegetables will be donated daily to the Urban Ministries of Durham where they will be collected and distributed the same day. These collection bins will be placed around Duke’s Campus at most food vendors including the Place Under the Marketplace on East, Uncle Harry’s on Central and the Lobby Shop on West.

If you live off campus and don’t have food points, you can still make a difference! The students of the Food, Environment and Development class are starting a Crowdrise fundraiser to allow for monetary donations, which are preferred by most food banks, to support the Interfaith Food Shuttle of Durham and Raleigh. This food shuttle is responsible for programs such as Backpack Buddies where meals are packed up in a backpack and sent home with a kid during weekends so that they can eat even when not in school. Every donation counts even if you can only the spare five dollars from not buying yourself a coffee that one time. Information about this site and all of the following food drives can be found online with the hashtag #DukeFeeds.

I’m not writing this commentary with the intention of making anybody feel guilty about their eating habits, but I would like to make somebody feel just a little more grateful for what they have. Not everybody out there, not even close to everybody, can afford a piping hot, fresh, cooked meal every day. The next time you get one, say, “Thank you.” Be grateful. And if you are able to spare some change or extra food points, please consider donating to one of the collection bins around campus or to the Crowdrise.

Diana Anthony is a Pratt senior.

Share and discuss “Being more grateful for my next meal” on social media.