RECESS  |  CULTURE

Oscars Rundown: A Night Not to Remember

Harris’s performance felt lackluster, unoriginal and, at times, offensive. And, no, not in the Ricky Gervais, "he’s British, so it’s okay," kind of way.

Following last year's solid hosting performance from Ellen DeGeneres and major awards for a diverse range of actors, directors and films, this year’s Academy Awards were destined to fail. That’s not to say that Neil Patrick Harris didn’t attempt to relieve some of the tension right off the bat, even opening with, "Today we honor Hollywood's best and whitest. Sorry, brightest." Though cheeky, the joke highlighted a fundamental flaw in this year’s bevy of candidates.

Nonetheless, the opening number involving Harris being inserted into former classic films reminded viewers of the seasoned Tony-hosting veteran Harris really is. Unfortunately, he just did not seem equipped for this year’s Oscars. Several of his jokes fell flat, including one bit where Octavia Spencer was supposed to be guarding his "predictions" for this year's awards. Even David Oyelowo shook his head in disapproval when Harris attempted to prove that British people sound funnier when telling jokes. Harris also didn’t seem to read the room right or improvise well, skills which are essential for any host. Following an award for Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1 and a heartfelt speech about suicide in our country, Harris quipped, “It takes a lot of balls to wear that dress” in reference to the ball-covered attire worn by director Dana Perry. Clearly, timing was not on his side.

Sure, Harris had some high points throughout the night. A stint in which he mimicked the most recognized scene in Birdman—walking onto the stage in his tighty whities and past a much appreciated Whiplash-referencing cameo from Miles Teller—was easily one of the funniest bits of the evening. A sly joke about John Travolta’s pronunciation skills worked quite well, too: "Benedict Cumberbatch: the name you get when you ask John Travolta to announce Ben Affleck." But, overall, Harris’s performance felt lackluster, unoriginal and, at times, offensive. And, no, not in the Ricky Gervais, "he’s British, so it’s okay," kind of way.

From a musical standpoint, the night was on fire (albeit way over the projected time). “Everything is Awesome” performed by Tegan and Sara and The Lonely Island was absolutely bonkers in the best way possible. Common and John Legend’s emotionally charged “Glory” brought Chris Pine to tears and the audience to its feet. We even learned that Lady Gaga doesn’t have to stutter "p-p-p-poker face" and can actually sing beautifully with her mash-up rendition of songs from The Sound of Music. If any songs fell flat, it would have to be Adam Levine’s “Lost Stars” or Jennifer Hudson during the “In Memoriam” section.

When it comes down to it, the greatest aspects of the 2015 Oscars were the impassioned speeches of the winners. J.K. Simmons kicked it off with a perfect message for people today in the Internet age: “If you are lucky enough to have a parent or two alive on this planet, don't text. Don't e-mail. Call 'em on the phone.” Patricia Arquette followed up by calling for wage equality for women in the United States, causing Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez to stand up and fervently applaud. Common and John Legend’s win for “Glory” from Selma led to one of the most powerful speeches of the night as they spoke about the continued struggle for civil rights equality and justice in this nation. Graham Moore, who won Best Adapted Screenplay for Imitation Game, pleaded for everyone to “Stay weird; stay different.” The victories became a platform for activism to an extent that the Academy has never seen before.

By the time Alejandro González Iñárritu won Best Director and Birdman took home the Best Picture trophy, the show had dragged on for what felt like the 12 years it took to make Boyhood. In the end, it’s a shame to say that even in a year of such strong pictures, the Oscars fell disappointingly flat. Here’s to next year and the potential of John Oliver hosting.

Share and discuss “Oscars Rundown: A Night Not to Remember” on social media.