Duke in the NBA: Hood, Deng and Redick go off as playoffs approach

Former Blue Devil stars are still putting up big numbers as the NBA regular season winds down:

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: The Cavalier point guard cooled down a bit after his 57-point outburst against the Spurs last week. Irving went for 21 points in Monday's loss at Miami, then scored a combined 25 points in Cleveland's next two games, both victories. The floor general had 10 assists against Mason Plumlee's Nets but shot just 4-of-16 in a three-point win against the Pacers.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz: The Meridian, Miss., native put up another 20-point outing this week, scoring 24 against the Hornets and making all five of his attempts from long range. The rookie couldn't keep the momentum going later in the week, though, as Hood missed all six of his field goal attempts from the field and scored just two points in a road win against the Lakers.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat: Deng's best game of the week came Wednesday against the Trail Blazers, when the 10-year veteran scored 24 points and made all four 3-pointers he launched. The swingman is averaging 14.4 points and 5.0 rebounds on the season as Miami learns to play without stretch four Chris Bosh.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick exploded this week, dropping 20-plus points in three games for the Clippers. He made 10 field goals against the Hornets Tuesday night without making a single 3-pointer, then made up for that by draining seven treys Wednesday against the Kings. But it wasn't Redick's lights-out shooting display that went viral, but his postgame interview, in which he was victimized by a Deandre Jordan photo-bomb and subsequent booger wipe.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: Even after the Kevin Garnett trade, Plumlee's productivity continues to wane. The Warsaw, Ind., native averaged 6.0 points per game in three contests this week, including just two points on 1-of-3 shooting in 21 minutes Friday night in a shootout against his brother and the Milwaukee Bucks.

Miles Plumlee, Milwaukee Bucks: Plumlee continues searching for minutes in his new home in a crowded frontcourt. Plumlee and former North Carolina star John Henson compete for backup minutes behind starter Zaza Pachulia, with the Duke alum getting 18 minutes in Friday's triple-overtime thriller at Brooklyn. Plumlee scored six points and grabbed four rebounds in his limited action after not playing in Tuesday's loss at New Orleans.

Austin Rivers, Los Angeles Clippers: Rivers hasn't received any preferential treatment from playing for his father in Los Angeles, as the third-year pro has not gotten more than 20 minutes on the court in his last four games. Rivers was held scoreless Tuesday against the Hornets and has not reached double-figures since March 9.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Hood, Deng and Redick go off as playoffs approach” on social media.