Jay Williams picked Virginia to win, and the Blue Devils make him pay

Duke is no stranger to playing in big-time games, and Saturday's showdown with No. 2 Virginia got the ESPN College Gameday treatment.

Former Blue Devils Jay Bilas and Jay Williams make up half of the show's studio-desk crew, but the Duke products didn't show their team much love before the game.

Asked to pick an ACC team not named Virginia most capable of reaching the Final Four, both Bilas and Williams chose North Carolina. The show's other panelist, former Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg, went with Louisville.

But things really got interesting in the show's closing moments, when Williams revealed a Virginia No. 50 jersey—the number worn by legendary Ralph Sampson—under his dress shirt, picking the Cavaliers to remain unbeaten and beat the Blue Devils. The jersey reveal has become a thing for Williams this season on College Gameday, the basketball equivalent of analyst Lee Corso's mascot pick on ESPN's college football show.

After Duke stormed back with late 3-pointers by Quinn Cook and Tyus Jones to claim a 69-63 win against the Cavaliers, DukeBluePlanet had a little fun at Williams' expense.

Twitter Tweet

No word yet on whether Williams' selection was used as a motivating factor by head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

For his part, Williams seems to be enjoying his role as the new Corso.

Twitter Tweet

Twitter Tweet

Share and discuss “Jay Williams picked Virginia to win, and the Blue Devils make him pay” on social media.