RECESS  |  CULTURE

Too Much Love or Not Enough?

I’m not going to lie to you guys. I woke up bright and early Thursday morning in order to see the Academy Award nominations the moment they came out. Was it a bit unnecessary? Sure. Do I regret it? Not one bit. From the moment I laid eyes on the fortunate few who will have a shot at Oscar Gold on Feb. 22, I knew we would have a competitive year at hand. Still, the Academy finds a way year after year to surprise me with unexpected contenders and, unfortunately, undeserved snubs. So, from one critic to another, here are some of the biggest shockers of 2015.

Where’s the love for Selma?

Selma, the biopic centered on the Martin Luther King Jr’s campaign to secure equal voting rights through multiple marches from Selma to Montgomery was highly popular this year with both critics and moviegoers. Though the film obtained a Best Picture nomination, David Oyelowo’s layered performance as the civil rights leader was considered a sure thing for his showing of the reverend's charisma, self-doubt, flaws and indomitable strength. Ava DuVernay showed poise and expertise behind the camera, guiding the viewer to appreciate a grounded, objective view of the crusader. Some argue that the controversy surrounding the inaccuracy of the portrayal of Lyndon B. Johnson may have affected its chances, but that’s truly unjust for such a passionate project. Snub

Eh bien méritée Marion Cotillard

Now, some may call this a snub for Jennifer Aniston in her breaking-the-typecast role as a troubled woman captivated by a suicide in her chronic pain support group, but I’m sorry, it was a poorly made film with an above average, not Oscar caliber, performance. Two Days, One Night, the sadly under-seen Belgium film about a woman who must convince coworkers to turn down a bonus in order to keep her job is intricate, personal and unique in perspective. Cotillard is excellent in capturing the shame and desperation of trying to salvage her situation and keep her world from falling apart. Bravo to the Academy for not overlooking this excellent performance. Surprise

Everything is NOT Awesome

How could the Academy have left out the highly enjoyable and intelligent LEGO Movie from the best animated feature list. From the same writers as 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie was corny, nostalgic and quirky in all the right ways. Rarely is there an animated film where adults and children can watch together, laugh together and go home with that warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about because you do! Snub

Drumroll Please

You have got to appreciate the love for the smartly written, psychological drama, Whiplash. The story of an ambitious drummer tested by his terrifyingly intense drumming instructor pulled the cover off the usual "musician triumphs after starving artist struggle" by highlighting the brutal process and psychological torture of practicing to be a skilled artist. J.K. Simmons is undoubtedly a lock to win for his performance as the daunting, aggressive mentor of the student. The film was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay (which is quite interesting considering it’s an original screenplay from writer/director Damien Chazelle). Surprise

To desert one of their own

I nearly collapsed when I realized that Life Itself was not nominated for Best Documentary. The heartfelt exploration of the late film critic Roger Ebert’s impassioned dedication to film was the most moving film of the year (yes, I mean even more than Boyhood). Director Steve James has a poor track record with the Academy, who snubbed him for classic documentaries such as Hoop Dreams and The Interrupters, so I guess it shouldn’t have been that surprising, but I never thought the Academy could leave this one out. That’s all I have to say about that. Snub

Lobby Boy’s for everyone

Any other fans who love to get to lost in the impeccably detailed world-building of Wes Anderson? I was beyond enamored to find out that The Grand Budapest Hotel was not only nominated for Best Picture, but also received a total of nine nominations, tied for the most with Birdman. This quirky film about Gustave H, a famous concierge at the widely popular European hotel, and his adorably earnest lobby boy was released in March, an unfriendly time for Academy awards. Still, viewers clearly saw the intricate, delightful beauty of Anderson’s uplifting, yet heartbreaking, triumph. Surprise

Gone “from the Academy “ Girl

An early frontrunner at the start of Oscar season, Gone Girl seemed to lose a lot of steam right before the nomination period began. Sure, Rosamund Pike’s picked up a well-deserved nomination for her haunting performance as the missing, devious wife, but Gillian Flynn’s adaptation of her complex, riveting book should have certainly received a nomination. I’d even be willing to forgive the omission of David Fincher as Best Director for that one. Snub

The American way

So, American Sniper seems to have gotten a lot of love this year with a late campaign surge. Now, some may disagree with me on this, but I felt Chris Kyle was underwritten, and the film failed to capture his motivations and true persona. Personally, I believe Bradley Cooper had a fantastic transformation into the character, but I would have given his spot to Jake Gyllenhaal’s unforgettably frightening turn as a freelance cameraman who will do whatever it takes to get the footage he wants in Nightcrawler. Surprise (and Snub).

Here’s a few quick others to top it off.

Snubs

Interstellar – Why expand the pool for blockbusters if you won’t nominate one?

A Most Violent Year – I would not mess with Jessica Chastain’s calculating wife.

Big Eyes – No prize.

Locke – You should have been a lock for Tom Hardy.

Surprises

Wild – Thank you Laura Dern. Subtlety is not lost on us.

Foxcatcher – Okay Academy, you got this one wrong. Sorry, Bennett Miller. I'm not a fan.

Inherent Vice – So, this replaced Gone Girl? Really?

Ida – Not that it’ll beat Birdman’s cinematography, but still a well-deserved nomination.

Well, you know the rules. There’s no going back now. Let the Oscar games begin.

Share and discuss “Too Much Love or Not Enough?” on social media.