Duke in the NBA: Irving, Redick and Deng impress on Christmas Day

It was a big week in the NBA, as several Christmas Day games occurred, marking an important landmark in the season for many teams across the league. Several former Duke standouts were in action and fared well and even more are doing their best to finish 2014 on a high note:

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: Irving played 42 minutes on Christmas Day in LeBron James' return to Miami, putting up 25 points on 10-of-19 shooting in a losing effort. In the fourth quarter, Irving went down awkwardly on a drive and was held out of Friday's win against the Orlando Magic. The diagnosis, a left-knee bruise, doesn't appear serious, although Irving did not play again in Sunday's blowout loss against the Detroit Pistons.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: The second-year pro saw his streak of three consecutive double-doubles snapped Saturday in a loss to the Indiana Pacers, grabbing eight rebounds and scoring nine points. Prior to Saturday, Plumlee had scored in double-figures in eight consecutive games, and is averaging 15.8 points per game since being inserted into the starting lineup, nearly double his season average. The Nets are 5-5 in those 10 games.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Hornets: In four games this week, Henderson was largely kept in check. The swingman was held to four points against Denver Monday, two points at Oklahoma City Friday and seven points Saturday against Orlando. Henderson's best performance of the week came Dec. 23 at Milwaukee, when the five-year veteran scored 20 points on 6-of-10 shooting. Luckily for Henderson, the Hornets' next game is also against the Bucks.

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick has found plenty of open space on the perimeter of late, dropping in 21 triples in his last five games. The sharpshooter hit three 3-pointers in a Christmas Day win against Golden State before knocking down five shots from long-range in a loss to Toronto Saturday. The Clippers are in a bit of a funk, but Redick's hot shooting provides another weapon for Doc Rivers' team as Los Angeles looks to reverse its fortunes.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat: The Heat played spoiler to LeBron James' return to South Beach on Christmas Day, and the 10-year veteran was a big reason why. Deng shadowed James for much of the afternoon, logging 40 minutes and forcing James into contested shots and four turnovers. On the offensive end, Deng scored 25 points on 11-of-16 shooting to help Dwayne Wade lead Miami to the win without big man Chris Bosh. Deng also flirted with a triple-double, racking up eight rebounds and eight assists. Two days later, Deng scored 16 points and played another 40 minutes in a loss to Memphis.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz: The slow going continued for Hood this week in his first year in Salt Lake City. The rookie scored 11 points in Utah's two games, a pair of wins against Philadelphia and Memphis, shooting a combined 3-of-16 from the field. For the season, Hood is shooting 31.1 percent from the floor and 28.3 percent on 3-pointers after battling a foot injury earlier this season.

Josh McRoberts, Miami Heat: McRoberts underwent surgery on Christmas Eve to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. The 27-year-old will not play again for the remainder of the season, curtailing his first season in Miami after 17 games. McRoberts was averaging 4.2 points and 2.6 rebounds per game for the Heat.

Carlos Boozer, Los Angeles Lakers: Playing in Chicago without Kobe Bryant on Christmas Day, the Lakers struggled in a 113-93 loss to the Bulls. For Boozer, the game was his first against his former team, and although the veteran scored 14 points on 7-of-11 shooting, he played only 17 minutes as head coach Byron Scott explored other options down low. The next night, Boozer scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds in a four-point loss to Dallas. The 6-foot-9 forward is currently averaging 13.2 points and 7.3 rebounds per game for the Lakers, who continue to struggle at 9-21.

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns: As his brother continues to shine in Brooklyn, Plumlee has seen his scoring production limited of late. The center has lost some of his playing time to second-year center Alex Len, and has scored four points in each of the last three games. Plumlee's performance Friday night in Sacramento was notable, however, as the 6-foot-11 big man grabbed six rebounds and blocked a season-high five shots.

Kyle Singler, Detroit Pistons: Singler continues to start, and chipped in seven points in Sunday's 103-80 road win against Cleveland. After Pistons forward Josh Smith was cut by the team and signed with Houston, more minutes have opened up in the Detroit frontcourt, but Singler hasn't received a significant increase in minutes. His 27 minutes Sunday against the Cavaliers were the most he's played since Dec. 7.

Austin Rivers, New Orleans Pelicans: Rivers scored 12 points and dished out five assists as the Pelicans topped the defending champion Spurs Friday in New Orleans. The guard has struggled with consistency, however, as the third-year pro shot 3-of-11 and finished with seven points in Saturday's 107-100 loss to Chicago.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving, Redick and Deng impress on Christmas Day” on social media.