Duke basketball Player of the Week: Week 3

Tyus Jones

Statline: Dec. 3 vs Wisconsin: 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting with six rebounds and four assists

The good: In a highly anticipated matchup of top-five teams, in front of a hostile crowd in the Kohl Center, Jones reminded everybody that he too is a supremely talented freshman capable of leading this Duke squad deep into March. The point guard took over the game in the second half en route to the Blue Devil’s 80-70 victory against the Badgers. Coming into the season as the starter ahead of senior Quinn Cook, the Apple Valley, Minn., native was certainly under pressure to distribute the ball effectively and minimize turnovers.

Thus far, the McDonald’s All-American has turned in a stellar 5.75:1 assist-to-turnover ratio and has earned the trust of his teammates and coaches Although Jones has not always looked for his offense, he has proved more than capable of putting the ball in the basket when needed. In Duke’s matchup against Michigan State—the only other top-25 opponent they have faced this season—Jones similarly took over in the secondhalf of the game

The negative: On the offensive side of the ball, Jones has given critics very little to complain about. However, the defensive side of the ball has been an occasional weakness for Jones. In Wednesday’s matchup, Jones was occasionally lost on pick and roll defense and caught ball-watching instead of sticking to his man. The freshman’s counterpart—Wisconsin point guard Traevon Jackson—finished the game with 25 points of his own and hit 3-of-5 shots from distance. But given Jackson’s superior experience and crafty ways of scoring, pointing to Jones’ defense might be more nitpicking than anything else.

Bottom line: Although most have been enamored by Jahlil Okafor’s dominance in the post and Justise Winslow’s highlight-reel blocks, Jones has been the steady rock of this Blue Devil squad. With his solid play at the point, Jones has allowed Cook—a point guard in year’s past—to play as the two-guard and the results have clearly shown.

After entering the season as a potential lottery pick in next year’s upcoming draft, the freshman has boosted his draft stock and calmed many of the concerns about size that scouts had before the season. As the season progresses, expect Jones to continue to be a sorcerer with the ball in his hands, magically setting up teammates for high percentage looks and seizing control as games get tight.

Honorable mention: After being passed over for the starting point guard position by Jones, Cook has responded exceptionally at his new shooting guard spot. The senior has scored in double-digits every game this season and is currently averaging 15.3 points per game—good for second best on the team. Cook has also shot 44-percent from beyond the arc and been effective as a distributor—including his highlight reel pass to Jahlil Okafor against Wisconsin.

But Cook’s most significant contribution has nothing to do with his performance. As the only senior on the roster, Cook has been crucial to keeping the Blue Devils united and is a major reason why this young Duke squad appears as if they are playing together for years. When the games have gotten tight, Cook has also been key to keeping the Blue Devils calm and making big shots. The senior's leadership was a huge reason why Duke was able to calmly enter the Kohl Center and exit with a statement victory.

Share and discuss “Duke basketball Player of the Week: Week 3” on social media.