Duke’s campus features stately archways, manicured grass, gothic renaissance and good old North Carolina sunshine. It’s the type of idyllic that shocks open the mouths of first-time visitors and occasionally, longtime students too (cue main quad insta). But upon further glance, one comes to realize that a problem has settled over our gothic wonderland—a big, trashy one.
?1. And so begins the (somewhat) epic Duke University Trash Hunt of 2014—How much trash will I come across on my daily walk from Science Drive to Blue Zone?
2. Spotted: white sheets of paper among the Science Drive trees.... maybe someone just didn't like their bio test grade?
3. Okay. A LOT of people didn't like their bio test grades.
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our editorially curated, weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.
4. Eeeeek this one's been here a while.
5. If trash isn't actually all the way in the trash can, is it even trash at all?
6. Got milk?
7. An otherwise idyllic candid Duke moment photo-bombed by a stray Coke Zero.
8. Vondy wouldn't be the same without pumpkin bread, iced chais, soft jazz and trash.
9. Okay. I don't play tennis but something tells me this isn't right.
10. I've seen that there really is trash all around us, even on a campus as beautiful as Duke's. Next time you're walking across campus, try and pay extra attention to the amount of litter you pass—you may be surprised!
Emma Loewe is a senior from Connecticut. Don't worry -- she made sure to pick up the trash after she photographed it.