Kelby Brown, Braxton Deaver each awarded sixth year of eligibility by NCAA

Duke linebacker Kelby Brown and tight end Braxton Deaver have each been given a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA, announced by the team this afternoon.

Both players have missed the entirety of this season after suffering knee injuries during the preseason. Brown tore the ACL in his left knee during a scrimmage Aug. 11, and Deaver fell victim to the same injury in his right leg Aug. 18.

The 2014 season was supposed to have been the players' fifth year of NCAA eligibility, after each was forced to take a medical redshirt earlier in their careers in Durham. Brown, a 2013 first team All-ACC selection, missed the 2012 campaign with a torn ACL in the same knee. Deaver also sat out the 2012 season for the Blue Devils recovering from three separate surgeries, including an ACL tear in his other knee.

Brown has recorded 242 tackles in three seasons on the gridiron for head coach David Cutcliffe, as well as a pair of interceptions and six fumble recoveries. Deaver was one of quarterback Anthony Boone's most dependable targets in 2013, ranking second on the team in receptions (46), receiving yards (600) and touchdowns (4).

Brown and Deaver were expected to be significant contributors and leaders on this year's team, and their injuries created doubts in the mind of many as to whether or not the Blue Devils stood a chance at repeating as Coastal Division champions.

Sitting at 8-1 overall and 4-1 in conference play, Duke has answered those doubts, particularly defensively. Anchored by the play of senior linebacker David Helton—who shifted over to Brown's Mike linebacker position after the Matthews, N.C., native went down with the injury—the Blue Devil defense has given up the 11th-fewest points per game in the nation.

The return of Brown and Deaver in 2015 will help to bolster a Blue Devil roster that will lose many of its key components following this season, including Helton, Boone and favorite target Jamison Crowder.

Former Blue Devil defensive end Kenny Anunike was a key member of Duke's division-winning team last season, playing in his sixth year of NCAA eligibility.

No. 19 Duke will look to improve upon its highest ranking in 20 years Saturday when the Blue Devils host Virginia Tech at noon at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Share and discuss “Kelby Brown, Braxton Deaver each awarded sixth year of eligibility by NCAA” on social media.