Grant Hill inducted into College Basketball Hall of Fame

Grant Hill added one more honor to his decorated basketball career Sunday evening—Hall of Famer.

Hill was part of the eight-man class inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame in a ceremony held in Kansas City, Mo. The Blue Devil legend was a star on Mike Krzyzewski's first two championship teams in Durham, helping Duke finish March Madness in both 1991 and 1992 by climbing the ladder to cut down the nets and leading his team back to a third championship game in 1994.

If there's any surprise in Hill's induction, it's that it hadn't already happened. The 6-foot-8 small forward won both the Wooden Award and the Naismith Award during his four years at Duke, tallying 1,924 points in a Blue Devil uniform, the 16th-most in program history. His No. 33 hangs from the rafters in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Hill averaged 14.9 points and 6.0 rebounds for Krzyzewski, a model of consistency from a four-year player. The Reston, Va., native turned in many spectacular moments on the court, but is perhaps best remembered for his three-quarter court heave in the 1992 Elite Eight against Kentucky. Hill's out-of-bounds pass flew straight to teammate Christian Laettner, who turned around to hit one of the most iconic shots in college basketball history at the buzzer.

After graduating, Hill was selected third overall in the 1994 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons, beginning a 20-year professional career that would be limited by injuries. Playing for Pistons, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Clippers, Hill appeared in seven All-Star games and won a gold medal with Team USA in 1996.

Hill typically makes it out to a handful of Duke home games every year. He was in attendance for Duke's 109-59 demolition of Fairfield Nov. 15, where he received the warmest of welcomes from the Blue Devil faithful.

Former LSU center Shaquille O'Neal and former Maryland head coach Gary Williams were two of the other prominent figures to join Hill as fellow inductees Sunday.

Share and discuss “Grant Hill inducted into College Basketball Hall of Fame” on social media.