Confronting the hook-up culture

Yesterday, we noted the sexualization of American society and the prevalence—in pop culture at large and at Duke—of an objectifying hook-up culture. Today, we normatively address this issue.

These days, it does not seem like a far stretch to say that Duke students are more willing to have sex than they hold hands with a romantic partner in public. But a study conducted two years ago by the Duke Social Relationships Project showed that, despite popular perception, nearly one third of students were in "committed relationships" and nearly three fourths of single students wished there were more of a dating scene on campus. A more up-to-date study is probably needed, but intuitively, the study's claims still ring true: on balance, students prefer sustained emotional and romantic engagements rather than hook ups.

So why does hook-up culture seem to dominate, when it appears to lack widespread support? Two comprehensive concepts of reality and sex address these concerns.

On the whole, the hook-up culture may provide momentary pleasures but fails to encourage long term, meaningful encounters with our peers. Hook-ups are purely physical, self-gratifying acts that are not conducive towards emotional intimacy; rather than promote healthy intimacy, a hook-up is akin to mutual, cooperative masturbation. In this worldview, different sexual conventions—ranging from celibacy until marriage to “no-strings attached”—are treated as equally healthy options on a dinner menu. None is any better than another; each is equally nurturing and should be chosen as a matter of self-serving taste and desire.

As Allan Bloom, author of The Closing of the American Mind, argues, higher education has been reduced to the professional training of clever and impulsive animals, who drink, vomit and fornicate in the dorms by night while they posture critically and ironically by day. Bloom also identified this self-indulgence as “the civilized reanimalization of man.”

But sex can be much more than what the hook-up culture offers. Sexual habits inherently reveal psychological, emotional and moral viewpoints. Sexual acts have more dimensions than physical, and these non-physical dimensions require careful reflection, which the hookup culture denies. Accordingly, sex is an intrinsically unitive, intimate and self-giving act, which is significant to all involved.

Which view of reality and sexual ethics is correct? In the haze of nightlife, the hook-up culture disguises itself, offering pleasure and conquest sans commitment—great for bragging rights and tallying notches in the belt. But in the light of day, alienation, awkwardness and debasement—“the walk of shame”—are the words that often describe it. While an individual’s sexual decisions are his or hers alone to make, the ramifications of hook-up culture should raise eyebrows and encourage essential discussions about sex culture at Duke.

Share and discuss “Confronting the hook-up culture” on social media.