Duke tight end Braxton Deaver to miss 2014-15 season with torn ACL

The blows keep coming for Duke football this preseason.

One week after starting linebacker Kelby Brown suffered a torn ACL, the Blue Devils lost another preseason All-ACC selection and leader for the season when tight end Braxton Deaver succumbed to the same injury Monday. According to reports via 247Sports.com, Deaver was running a route and fell to the ground, making it a non-contact injury.

“This certainly seems redundant after Kelby’s injury last week, but again our thoughts and prayers lie with Braxton and his family with this news,” Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said in a press release. “While we’ll miss his presence on the field, the priorities with Braxton right now shift to his health and spirit. We do know that Braxton will continue to be a valued member of our program going forward.”

Replacing the Charlotte native will not be easy, as Deaver was second on the team in receptions last year, catching 46 balls for 600 yards and four touchdowns. He had a standout performance in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against Texas A&M, catching six passes for 116 yards and was second to only teammate Jamison Crowder in receiving yards in the game.

Without Deaver in the rotation, redshirt junior David Reeves will step into the starting role. Reeves served as the reserve tight end last year and has had the greatest amount of success in the spotlight, as two of his four career touchdowns came in 2012's Belk Bowl and this year's Chick-Fil-A Bowl. With Deaver out, the Blue Devils will need him to become a consistent and reliable target for quarterback Anthony Boone. But even more importantly, Duke needs Reeves to stay healthy, as the new No. 2 tight end, redshirt sophomore Erich Schneider, has just one career reception, which came back in 2012.

This is not Deaver's first run-in with injuries, as the redshirt senior suffered a torn ACL, fractured thumb and left patella fracture in 2012, forcing him to miss the season. But he made a full recovery and exploded last season, increasing his receptions and receiving yards six-fold from his 2011 campaign. His on-field success earned him a spot on the Mackey Award Watch List, which recognizes the top tight ends in the nation. Prior to training camp this fall, Deaver was forced to spend time away from the team and accomplish several undisclosed Cutcliffe had laid out for disciplinary reasons. He rejoined the team this past week, participated in his first scrimmage Friday and looked to be picking up where he left off prior to Monday's injury.

The loss of Deaver and Brown also leaves a hole in the Blue Devils' on-field leadership, as the veterans were both entering their fifth year in Cutcliffe's program and were poised to improve upon solid 2013 campaigns while bringing along the younger talent.

Combine the injuries along with the fact that Duke was left out of yesterday's preseason AP Top 25, and it seems as though the Blue Devils will reclaim their spot as an underdog in the crowded race for the ACC Coastal Division crown.

Share and discuss “Duke tight end Braxton Deaver to miss 2014-15 season with torn ACL” on social media.