Duke women's basketball releases 2014-15 nonconference schedule

Blue Devil fans will have no shortage of excitement when basketball season rolls around this year.

Duke women’s basketball head coach Joanne P. McCallie announced the 2014-15 nonconference schedule Monday. With matchups against Connecticut, Texas A&M and Nebraska, the Blue Devils will have their hands full as they look to strengthen their team early in hopes of producing a deep run into the NCAA tournament after last year's early exit.

“It's another fantastic schedule that will challenge us in all ways,” McCallie said in the release. “It will give us a chance to honor senior Elizabeth Williams by taking her home and will bring outstanding teams to Cameron Indoor Stadium.”

Duke will open the regular season at Alabama Nov. 16. Just like they did for Allison Vernerey in her senior season, Duke will then take senior center Elizabeth Williams home when they face Old Dominion Nov. 20 in Norfolk, Va. Williams is a Virginia Beach, Va. native and a three-time All-American.

Duke will open Cameron Indoor Stadium when it plays host to Marquette Nov. 23. That will kick off a three-game homestand, with matchups Nov. 25 and Nov. 28 against Buffalo and Stony Brook, respectively.

Duke will travel to Texas A&M Nov. 30 and then take on Nebraska Dec. 3 as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Blue Devils will then start a four-game homestand in which they will play South Carolina, Oklahoma, UMass Lowell and Kentucky.

Duke's toughest test will come Dec. 30 when they travel to take on Connecticut. The Blue Devils have faced the Huskies in each of the past five seasons and have yet to register a win or come within 15 points. In that time, Duke is 0-6 against Connecticut, losing by an average of 28.67 points per game.

The team will conclude nonconference play Jan. 2 against North Carolina A&T.

Duke posted a 28-7 record last season but fell to DePaul in the second round of the NCAA tournament. The Blue Devils will return one starter in Williams. They lost Alexis Jones to injury last season, which prompted the Texan guard to transfer closer to home to Baylor for her remaining two years of eligibility.

Williams along with Ka’lia Johnson, Jenna Frush, Amber Henson, Oderah Chidom, Kendall McCravey-Cooper and Rebecca Greenwell are the seven returning scholarship players for the Blue Devils.

“This team is going to be very exciting with a lot of versatility,” McCallie said. “It's the tallest and longest team I've ever coached. Elizabeth Williams returns for her final season, who is obviously very special and a National Player of the Year candidate."

2014-15 Duke Nonconference Schedule

Sunday, Oct 26 - Blue vs. White game

Thursday, Oct 30 - Limestone (Exhib)

Sunday, Nov 2 - Armstrong Atlantic State (Exhib)

Sunday, Nov 16 - @ Alabama

Thurs Nov 20 - @ ODU

Sunday, Nov 23 - vs MARQUETTE

Tuesday, Nov 25 - vs BUFFALO

Friday, Nov 28 - vs STONY BROOK

Sunday, Nov 30 - @ Texas A&M

Wednesday, Dec 3 - @ Nebraska

Sunday, Dec 7 - vs. SOUTH CAROLINA

Wednesday, Dec 17 - vs OKLAHOMA

Friday, Dec 19 - vs UMASS LOWELL

Sunday, Dec 21 - vs KENTUCKY

Tuesday, Dec 30 - @ UCONN

Friday, Jan 2 - vs NC A&T

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball releases 2014-15 nonconference schedule” on social media.